Very sick guinea, acting drunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheMommaHen13, Jul 9, 2011.

1. TheMommaHen13

TheMommaHen13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    One of our very healthy and happy five month old male guineas started acting sick yesterday, laying on the floor of the coop and not coming out. When we pushed him to come out, he stumbled around in circles and we noticed he had one completely clouded eye (doesn't look like he can see at all out of it). After staggering around in circles, he would flop down with his neck and head turned backwards resting on his back and then would fall asleep. I've tried Poly Vi Sol directly on his beak but he doesn't really seem to be getting any down, he gets agitated if we get too close to him (our guineas are pretty wild) and he's not eating or drinking anything, even though we've isolated him with his own water and food. I'm guessing there's nothing else we can do, but just thought I'd put it out there and see if this sounds familiar to anyone. Our local feed store experts (they really are great and have given us excellent advice for the past 5 months) said it sounds neurological and probably not from anything we could control or do differently. Our flock free range and all coop up at night. Thoughts?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have never had to deal with this but it could be wry neck or star gazing, heres a link that may help you help your Guinea. hope so
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=469645&p=2
    forgot to add, there has been some posting about the chickens and ducks eating fermented fruit of the ground and acting drunk. Could your Guinea have gotten ahold of some fruit that has been sitting in the sun?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Maybe a lack of vitimans? We thought we had mareks here but it was vitiman D or E I think. Good luck!
    Quote:

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is your guinea doing this afternoon?

5. TheMommaHen13

Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  6. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    do you have anti freeze around.. car leaking? anything like that? its very sweet tasting for birds and dogs..

7. TheMommaHen13

Jun 25, 2011
    No, we keep the garage closed while they're out. I first thought it might be mold (we had some feed that fell and decayed on the ground) but I heard that kills much quicker. This has been going on now for a couple of days. Could it still be the mold? We're going to get lime to rake into the ground today just to be sure.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Still would be a good idea to rake in the lime. I am so sorry but he doesn't look good at all, once they stop eating and drinking that isn't a good sign, I know from experience. I wish this wasn't happening but it's just a known fact if you have animals sooner or later we're faced with very diffcult decisions. Will be thinking of ya'll. again sorry [​IMG] just from your description of how he has been acting, I'd say he got into something. you may never know what though.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by