Very sick hen, lost lots of weight and throwing up...etc!!!

Sara9

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
I was on vacation for two weeks with house sitter and when I came back one of my hens had lost a lot of weight, she feels like she weighs nothing and especially around her vent all her bones protrude. I've offered her plenty of appealing foods but doesn't eat much and sits around and is very weak.
After picking her up and offering her food she started to drool/ throw up liquid stuff.
She isn't improving after three days and is very sick.
She also has a slightly white chalky stuff below her vent.
Should I separate her from the others who aren't bothering her....could it be a parasite thought the other 10 hens are fine so far.
Is is coccidiosis?
Do I need to call a vet?
Thanks so much, i'm very worried about her tonight!

also her comb is reddish/slightly purple and her eyes look okay but sometimes she closes them and isn't panting.

So after some research, i thought maybe it is sour crop- her crop feels soft and full of liquid, she is throwing up a little, her mouth smells funny, she doesn't move much, and I saw her bobbing her head back and forth as though to loosen it up.
This could have been going on for a week or two, long enough for her to loose a tone of weight and it could be really bad, I don't know the condition of her crop. The past few days I offered her some soaked oats along with harder foods which may have only made it worse. I have her separated and I just now tipped her upside down like I read about and messaged her crop until she 'threw up', so hopefully that helped but it still feels pretty full. I syringed her some olive oil and later yogurt. Now she is drinking a lot.
Does it sound like I'm doing the right thing. I think tomorrow I will try to get her to throw up again and feed her some more yogurt and oil.
I also read about giving red wine being great for sour crop, is this true?
Thanks!

Iv had this before an taken them to the vets I use a poultry vet who knows all about it, I'd treat with antibiotics to rule any infection an also treat for corrid, hope this helps

As today is labor day I don't think I will be able to take her to the vet, and she is doing really bad right now, eyes closed, no energy, not eating or drinking on own. I message her, give her yogurt, baking soda in water, olive oil to loosen things up, but she isn't any better. Is their anything I could get her at a pharmacy that will get rid of the fungus or an infection- how do I know what she has?
Also, can the fungus be passed from chicken to chicken- another one of my birds is not eating much now, and sitting in the corner eyes closed so she doesn't look great, but still moves around a little and her crop doesn't feel really weird but her vent has like grayish smelly sour poo around the edges. Should I isolate her and give her yogurt?!?! Please don't let both my birds have this!
Thanks, I'm really worried she won't make it the day!

Yes I'd isolate her an get some antibiotics sooner you start treatment more chance she'll have but like some of mine some haven't made it :( it sounds like mycoplasma is she sneezing and coughing too? Also I'd definatly treat with a corrid solution you can get that anywhere I'd treat the whole flock to be safe an carry on with the yoghurt xx

Thanks everyone for your responses and help, but sadly last night she passed away - her name was Wispa :( I had made the rushed decision to 'puke' her again as her crop seemed really full and she was weaker and seemed super sick-obviously on her last chance. I believe she coked and it had evicted her respiratory system. But this has continued and I thought maybe I should just share what has happened. Another hen had just started to show signs of lethargy and lack of hunger. I thought it wasn't the same thing, she wasn't showing corp problems just odd sickness symptoms, maybe from the heat. I gave her some probiotics I gave my other hen to help her but within 12 hours of loosing the first bird this hen passed away too. I wish I could have gotten anitfungal or antibiotics from the vet but because of the holiday I couldn't until maybe today.
So two birds died and I don't see how they were related or if my other hens are at risk. I called many vets but since it was after hours only one poultry vet could recommend I send the most recent hen who died's body to my local vet to be examined. She said that although sour crop is often from blockage from eating something like hay, it can also be caused by fungus or bacteria I believe, or something like led or other metals, or something called merits. So I have the bird's body being kept cold and hopefully my vet will take a look at her. I worry that if it was something viral my other birds are already in contact with it, or it is is something in the environment they have already and access to it. Has anyone else had this problem. I'll keep you posted it I figure out what happened. I loved these two birds and wish I wasn't so uneducated about how to treat them, but hopefully I can protect the others.
I would be curious to know what might have caused it if anyone has ideas so it does't keep happening.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Awww so sorry it's not nice when you lose them, I think your doing the right thing an hopefully if it's is viral your vet can help an advise, that was my worry, I got a hen from a local garden centre an it was poorly unbeknown to me an stupidly I put it straight with the others I lost about 8 chicks due to them catching it but since antibiotics an corrid treatment they've all been well, they was the same not eating drinking an just stood in a corner, keep us posted xx

Where do you live, Sara9? If you are in the USA, some states offer state programs for necropsy and she will be thoroughly tested. Not to discount a vet-- there are many very good ones that are knowledgeable in avian necropsy, but there are a lot that aren't as well... I'd hate for you to pay only to get no answers.

A few states even offer free testing. It is worth calling your state's agricultural extension to find out. Or, let us know where you are and someone might know exactly who to call!

Back
Top Bottom