VERY sick hen, need more advice! Figured out problem, is it to late???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I have dewormed the flock, I have been battling non stop with those pesky lice, and I have treated them for cocidiosis. (cant spell to save my life)
    She has been wasting away, getting thinner and weaker, and this morning I went to the coop to find her laying in the mud!
    I brought my little Honey in wrapped up in my bathrobe (the neighbors thought I was nuts) and gave her a luke warm bath.
    Now I have her isolated in the basement with a stuffed toy for company...
    I dont know what else to try!?
    This is her:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look how pathetic she looks, shes 6 months old, and shes still so tiny...
    [​IMG]
    I lost all three of the other buffs who came with her, and she is the last one alive...Shes so sweet, I dont want her to die [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have her in a cat pen, with some medicated chicken feed, and electrolights (still cant spell...) in her water.
    She was also vaccinated against Merrick, what else should I be doing [​IMG]
    Does it look like something is wrong with her?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Chickens are social animals, she may be depressed being alone.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I just isolated her this morning when i found her in the mud, im waiting for her to perk up some more before I put one of the bantams with her.
    So I dont think that is the problem.

4. daytonfarm

daytonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I would get some poly-vi-sol (no iron) in her. Offer anything you have that you think she might eat. Yogurt, grapes, oatmeal, applesauce. If you know she likes sunflower seeds give her those. She needs calories. She also needs a heat lamp(light bulb will do) and do not put her back outside. She isn't interested in any other chickens right now she's trying to stay alive. Take away the medicated food and try mixing regular food with applesauce or yogurt etc... The more protein the better at this point.

Can she walk? I'm guessing that if she was stuck in mud that she can't walk well. When you washed her did you find lice? If you did you need to ivomec her. Lice can suck the life right out of them.

Carolyn

5. My11BabyChicks

My11BabyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    Try cottage cheese!!! My hens LOVE it and its a great source of nutrients! Yogurt is a great idea as previously said... Also... Try putting diatamacious (sp) earth inside their coop and where ever they lay... Make sure it is livestock and animal grade! Prayers to your little girl...

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Where can I get that? The Poly-vi-sol?
    I just gave her a mix of cottage cheese and corn/grain she loves the grain, so ill just keep giving her that.
    The feed store is closed so I have to wait until tomorrow to get the Ivomec stuff, I did see the lice again. There really small so that means they must have just started to come back again.
    Every 10 days I have been dusting them and cleaning out there coop, those evil lice...
    I just set up the heat lamp also, so hopefully that helps her.
    She can walk now, but she is stumbling a lot.
    At the moment she is doing a lot of stand in one place and tuck my head behind my wing. My poor little hen...

7. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Ill try that also!
    I just gave her some cottage cheese and seed's.

8. My11BabyChicks

My11BabyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    Yes, please do! Its great for the mites, lice and for cleaning! Seriously, keep us all posted!

[​IMG]

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I will do just that.
    [​IMG] I just hope she pulls threw T_T

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How did the 3 others die and how far apart did they die. Did they die the same way? How old are they? Do you have other chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by