1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very sick hen, please help me

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbbflfjz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. cbbflfjz

cbbflfjz New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    I bought her about two years ago along with another chicken which unfortunately died due to illness not long after, and then we bought a third one to keep her companied and she has been very healthy and active ever since, but recently she started showing signs of illness, such as lethargy, droopy wings and feathers, she drinks a little but doesn't eat, and she also has bubbly white and yellow watery droppings. I tried to treat her with Amoxicillin capsule(0.25g) every 12 hours for 2 days, but she doesn’t seem to be improving. She has also stopped laying for a little over 2 months before she showed any symptoms.

[​IMG]
    This photo was taken at around 8am today, normally at this time she would be foraging in the backyard, but now she won't even leave the coop

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I also gave her some mashed up pellets with yogurt yesterday to try to get some food down her, she ate a little, but today she seems completely uninterested, i don't know what to do to make her eat, should i force feed her? i don't think she will last very long without eating

please help me, I don't want to lose her ;(

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She possibly could be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. The amoxicillin is a good choice to treat for that if she has E.coli from EYP. There usually is not a good outcome with those problems. I can't post links tonight, but if you go above to the search, you can enter those two diseases and get many examples to read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by