VERY sick hen, with Coryza, meds not helping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmdhart, Aug 28, 2010.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    Thanks to BYC I discovered that my sick redstar had Coryza. I sure wish it was something else. I have had her isolated, have been giving her poly vi sol, and duramysin. I've also used neosporin in her eyes. I'm having to dribble it on to her beak until she starts to drink it. She is refusing all food and I have not seen her drink anything except when I use an eye dropper. She won't touch any food at all. Her eyes seem more swollen than before. Should I try sulmet? I do have a few doses of baytril, but probably only enough for 3 days.
    Does anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking of organic vinegar, but I thought someone on this site said not to use it with antibiotics.
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    Donna

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Baytril would be the best, second would be Tylan 50 injectable. Coryza can be spread very easily, care must be given when handling and changing clothing between handling infected birds. Their is a vaccine that you can give after treating with meds. If after vaccination the bird still becomes sick, you then know it is a carrier for life. Revaccinate healthy birds every year.

3. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I will start her on it tomorrow and see if I can get some extra from my vet. Should I give her some vinegar? I was thinking that it might help break up some of the mucous.
    Are the vaccines for this injections or the kind that you drop in the eyes?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

They are injections. Look inside the mouth also, as puss often develops in the sinuses poking down to the roof of the mouth, around the eye sockets and the sinus pocket in front of the eye. If puss develops, it will need a way out as chicken puss gets very hard. If you happen to have a nebulizer in the family, you can use that to make the meds into a mist they can breath into the lungs.

5. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I do have a nebulizer, but how would I use it on a chicken? What meds would I use with it?

6. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    she does, by the way have a lot of pus around her nostrils and mouth. I was able to get some of it off today, but not as much as I would like. It was like cement! What is the best way to disolve it?

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Pmed ya

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have a friend who went through it last year, and I know she used Gallimycin and Tylan on them. When they got well, she vaccinated all of them and any that developed symptoms as a result of the vaccination were put down because that indicated they were carriers.

This was all on the advice of Dr. Peter Brown, I understand.

She did manage to eradicate it, in a huge mixed flock, from what I understand...I'm afraid to visit so I'm now shown as the paranoid I admit to being...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by