Very sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlmancuso, Nov 14, 2016.

1. tlmancuso

tlmancuso Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    I have a hen that is nearly 6 months. When she was 12 weeks old she was lost in over 100 degrees for a day and when we found her she was dehydrated and her feet were curled. I treated her with vitamins. It progressed to the point that she could only stumble backward and could not eat/drink unless food/water was elevated. After about 6 weeks of isolation and treatment she recovered to the point that she was happy with her sister, but never completely got better. She had a tremble in her legs. About a week ago the leg issues came back and today I found her in the coop with her legs splayed and her wing out. It's very characteristic to what I've read about Marek's disease.

I think the poor little thing has suffered enough. I think it's time to cull her. How do I do that? I cannot chop her head or wring her neck. I have euthanized rodents with dry ice fumes in a closed container. Would this work on a bird as well? It's so very sad, but suffering is even worse.

I'd like to get new chicks in the spring, but am very concerned about introducing them to an infected flock. No other hens have shown signs of illness. Only one other is her age. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cutting the jugular vein is a very quick and humane method of putting a chicken down. You can hang them upside down in a killing cone or with some twine around the feet to hang them from a tree branch. This tends to calm them down, and is how many people humanely butcher. Or you can look up "humanely euthanizing a chicken" by entering that into the search box at the top of this page for other suggestions. You may want to first contact your state poultry health official or vet to get a necropsy to look for Mareks. New chicks can be vaccinated for Mareks at their hatchery, and when you get them, keep them inside away from the current environment or hens for at least 2-3 weeks until they are fully immune. It may not be Mareks at all, but it is good to know. Sorry about your hen.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I recently looked into the dry ice method and it seems like it's not appropriate for larger animals, so I decided to do the broomstick method.

-Kathy

4. George8207

George8207 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    I had a very sick hen and did not isolate her from my flock. Unfortunately a dog dug his way into the pen and killed 3 of my chickens, including the sick hen.

If you want to keep a healthy flock, you can do what I do. I have been using the following for a number of months for my wife and me so decided it was a good way to keep my flock well. I put 20 drops of MMS and 20 drops of the activator together. After waiting for 30 seconds I add a few ounces of water to it and then pour it into a gallon of water. The treated water and another untreated gallon of water is put in one of my watering containers. The other water container gets a teaspoon of borax in about a gallon of water. I have seen no negative effects and plan to continue these protocols to make sure no disease of any kind visits my flock.

Both of these protocols have been known for many years but have been kept from us by the pharmaceutical and political elites. The reason is both heal almost all disease in humans and if the word gets out the government and pharmaceutical agencies will lose millions of dollars. If you want the MMS protocol, go to www.quantumleap.is or look it up on the internet. For the borax protocol I put one teaspoon of borax in a quart of water and put one teaspoon of the treated water in a glass of water or food three times a day. Boron is needed by our bodies in order to have optimum health.

I hope this is helpful.

God bless.

5. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016

Hi.. so I know this is completely an unrelated topic, but amiga had told me to try and talk to you about it. Well yesterday morning my baby duckling was attacked by my cat. Not much injury was found. He did bleed a bit, but it stopped soon after the initial attack. I need an antibiotic or an ointment or something good for it so it doesn't get infected. He seems to be doing better however, just a little dizzy with walking. Any suggestions? All are appreciated..thanks again

6. George8207

George8207 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    There are a number of things you can do. Many things in nature are antibacterial with no side effects. You can use an essential oil such as tea tree and coconut oil mixture 1-1. You can also use MMS - look it up on Google or go to Genesis II Church of Health and Healing for the protocol and needed products. A third thing I will mention is a weak solution of water and borax. It will kill bacteria, virus and fungus. It will not harm your pet. You might try 1/2 teaspoon borax in a quart of water and just spray the damaged area a few times daily to keep any invading bug out. It is cheap and you can get the borax in the laundry compound area of any grocery store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by