1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very sick/injured Rhode island red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carolinechicken, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Carolinechicken

Carolinechicken Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2015
    I recently returned home from vacation to find my Rhode island pullet lying in the house of my chicken coop. Unusual she is usually on the roosting bar I picked her up to find a large gash on her neck and feathers pulled out. Usually, I would put healing cream on the cut but when I tried to get her to stand her right leg slid out and she fell and started flapping, her leg does not seem to balance she can use her "knee" but can't stand or balance I also noticed that when she breathes it through her mouth and her stretches her neck out when she does this usually 6-10 times a minute, I am writing this three days after the original accident and have observed not sounds coming from her she has always been talkative but now there is no noise, i am pretty sure she is not going to die because she eats and drinks, I give her 10 ml a day with a syringe to make sure she drinks, fro me a vet is not an option I want to know what I can do for her,

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she was injured pretty severely, either by the others, or by a predator. She could have suffered a head or back injury, or an injury to a leg. I would place her in a laundry basket, a bathtub, or a crate with food and water close. Add some electrolytes and vitamins to the water. Offer bits of cooked egg or canned tuna, and feed mixed with a little plain yogurt and a lot of water can be good to coax her to eat. Rest and a little TLC may help her heal. You can also place her near the other chickens in her crate, so she feels secure and stays a member of the flock. Keep her wounds clean, and apply some Vetericyn spray or antibiotic ointment twice a day.

2 people like this.
  3. Carolinechicken

May 10, 2015
    Does anybody have an idea why she is not making noise five days after the incidence?

1 person likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give it some time. She may be really injured, hopefully she will recover. Check her crop to make sure she is eating some during the day, but emptying over night when she sleeps. A head injury could make her a little confused. Is she able to stand, walk, and e at now?

1 person likes this.
  5. Carolinechicken

May 10, 2015
    Sheis eating as much as a normal chicken, I do not know how much she drinks, though, I give her 40 ml through a syringe so I know how much she drinks. She is still not talking no noise at all she is silent, even when I clean her cut, she will sit with both of her legs under her (she did not do this a few days ago) when she breathes it is through her mouth she extends her neck to do so there is not sweating or panting for air. There are no visible wounds on the head or breast.-Thanks

6. Carolinechicken

May 10, 2015
    She figured out how to stand this morning!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is great news. Hopefully she will get stronger. I will check in from time to time while I am out of town to see how she is doing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Carolinechicken

May 10, 2015
    She is talking!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by