1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very sick little sexlink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyandotte77, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Wyandotte77

Wyandotte77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    I have a 3 year old black sexlink hen named Sophia who has exhibited signs of being ill for several months. She looks very 'droopy' and doesn't run with the other hens anymore. She has now stopped eating and I have been giving her nutri-drench and fluids for a few days as well as bringing her in at night because it has been dropping into the teens. I took her to the exotic animal vet and he did a fecal float because the urates in her droppings are very yellow. No parasites and no cocci. He checked for any egg binding and gave me some antibiotics to give her as a catch-all. After 10 days on the antibiotics, there has been no marked improvement. She is on her fifth day of milk thistle drops as well as the vet said he suspected liver failure by the look of her droppings. He said he has seen has seen this treatment highly in smaller birds with liver problems. She has been pretty much the same all week. Very weak and tired and hardly wanting to eat or drink. Has anyone had anything like this before? I am kinda stumped. I have resigned to the fact that she is going to die and if she exhibits any signs of real pain that she will get put down but she still is her same feisty self on occassion and seems to like all the pampering. I just figured I would try to make her as comfortable as possible until she passes but it really bothers me that I don't know what it is. Thank you for any input!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Just wanted to say I am sorry about your girl, hope you are able to figure out what is going on. If she doesn't want to eat/drink, have you considered tube feeding her? Do you know when she last laid eggs?

3. Wyandotte77

Wyandotte77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Thank you for the kind words. How would I go about tube feeding her? I am afraid to force much in case she aspirated the food. She hasn't laid an egg in six months. She has definitely been going downhill for a while. It breaks my heart :(

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by