Very sick month old Black Copper Marans Chick - please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueMoon, Mar 17, 2008.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Songster

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    And I think it's a hen too. She's having so much trouble breathing, gasping, mouth often open, often rattling sound. Whole body moves when she breathes. Her eyes look awful - strained, watery, a bit of residue. she's on my lap - just sneezed.
    I've tried to give her polyvisol - i don't know what else to do for her other than isolation from the other chicks. She was fine yesterday.
    any thoughts? this is breaking my heart

2. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Songster

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Possibly Roup (nutritional) or air sac disease?

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    How old is the bird? I just posted on another thread instructions for using tylan injectible ...
    it might also be brooder pnuemonia (aspergillosis >a fungus) She sounds very ill :aww

4. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Songster

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    She's still alive this morning! Breathing is still strained, but she's a bit more energetic than last night - she was down right limp at times then.
    She is about 5-6 weeks old. She was hen raised - none of the other seven chicks seem ill, but she got sick really fast - surprisingly only two days after Mama went back to the big birds.
    Good news is that her droppings are normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: