Very sick older hen - advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sjmjrgkmg, Dec 11, 2013.

1. sjmjrgkmg

sjmjrgkmg Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Hi all,
    One of our "elderly" hens - about 6 y.o. - has been doing poorly lately, but went downhill very quickly. I found her on the coop floor, unable to stand. She seems to have paralysis of legs, very messy diarrhea (brown - profuse) and is not eating. If I prop her she'll stay in that position, but her feet are curled up to the side. Her comb/wattles color isn't good and she just seems like she's failing rapidly. It's really cold here, so I have her inside for the warmth. Will only drink if I squirt it into her mouth with an eyedropper. Yesterday she gobbled down some kefir with ground cereal grains in it, but won't look at it today.
    I live in an urban area, so few vets treat poultry. I tried some epsom salts solution (couldn't get much into her - how do you get a chicken to open its beak, anyway?). The nearest store with poultry antibiotics is a few towns away, and we have a snowstorm brewing. Any advice gratefully received!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you checked her for lice? Wormed her? Is she thin?

3. sjmjrgkmg

sjmjrgkmg Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    It's hard to tell if she's thin - she's a very large, fluffy breed. She hasn't eaten much in a few days, so she's light. I didn't see worms, nor lice - wouldn't all of my flock have them if she did? Everyone else seems fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by