Very sick Orpington (has been to vet)

Not sure where you're located but you can get Freeze Dried MealWorms @ Walmart. Try some boiled egg yolk, Nutri Drench is a good suggestion (staceyj) a drop or 2 on the side of her beak or on anything you can get her to eat.

As for tube feeding, there is a thread on it, you can use aquarium tubing, check it out in the forum.
Ps!
The mealworms at Walmart are in the garden section with the wild bird seed.

Well I have all the aquarium tubing in the world! I figured it would be way too big. Thank you, I'll look into that now.

Coincidentally, my other vet called me tonight (chiropractor vet, I didn't know she did chickens) and is bringing me some fluids and supplies tomorrow.

Find the directions for tube feeding. It sounds more systemic than just cocci. Right now start thinking shock prevention. Keeping her calm and warm until you can get her stable will go a long way. Somehow you need to get fluids replaced, the tube is your best option to get her to the vet. If you can't find the supplies, a wet mash of crumble with maybe a little yogurt for appeal hand fed with a dropper might help. Good luck with her:fl

Agreed, it's almost like the cocci is the secondary issue. Her "sister" (same hatchery/breed/age) died suddenly in November- she was only noticeably sick for two days but was sneezing blood, upon autopsy I was told she had an enlarged liver.

Back
Top Bottom