Very sick pullet!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlebanty, Oct 28, 2010.

1. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a very young sick pullet. She was fine yesterday. I went out today and she is weak, wont walk, eats and drinks fine tho. But I noticed that she had a reddish blister/bump/sore on her beak and looked like some dried blood coming out of her nostrils. Eyes are clear no discharge. I started all of them on 12.5% dimethox. I have no clue what it is. Any ideas? SOmeone mentioned to me coryza but I dont think it is that because the description online said nothing about beak sores.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Can you post a picture of the sores?

The first two things that come to mind are - possible an injury of some kind - or fowl pox. But without a little more information, specifically a picture, i'm really not sure.

3. littlebanty

Quote:I took pics let me see if I can upload them.

4. littlebanty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. littlebanty

Looking further I saw a red spot on her head as shown in the pic.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It may have been pecked.

7. littlebanty

Quote:No, another hen now has a lesion and Im pretty sure now that I have a fowl pox outbreak. [​IMG]

8. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    EEEKS!
    fowl pox is relatively slow-spreading. Thus, it is possible to vaccinate to stop an outbreak. The wing-web vaccination method is used for chickens

that'd be a call to the state vet's office? incinerate the birds and coop? i'm not suggesting this. it was told to me that's all

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Fowl Pox is transmitted by mosquitos.

10. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Transmission : Fowl pox is transmitted by direct contact between infected and susceptible birds or by mosquitos. Virus-containing scabs also can be sloughed from affected birds and serve as a source of infection. The virus can enter the blood stream through the eye, skin wounds, or respiratory tract. Mosquitos become infected from feeding on birds with fowl pox in their blood stream. There is some evidence that the mosquito remains infective for life. Mosquitos are the primary reservoir and spreaders of fowl pox on poultry ranges. Several species of mosquito can transmit fowl pox. Often mosquitos winter-over in poultry houses so, outbreaks can occur during winter and early spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by