Very Sick Quail! Help please!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by marieb1, May 2, 2016.

1. marieb1

marieb1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    Hello here is my set up: I have about 20 quail in shaded wire tiered, roll out cages in Phoenix Arizona. Each cage is 2X2 with kitty liter filled poop pans which are 6 inches below the bottom of the cage. There are 4/5 quail in each cage. I clean the poop pans 2 times a day to control flies.

I have notice some of the birds are losing some feathers (figured it was molting, the weather just got warm), then noticed a them standing in the corner sleeping more than normal. Some drooping wings. Figured it was the weather and longer days.

Left for a 3 day hunting trip came home to one bird sitting with her head down, eyes closed, very thin feathers, and panting. I removed her ASAP and she is still laying and panting. Noticed some runny poop when cleaning. I sat for a few moments and observed....saw a bird spitting/vomit, more runny stool and bumble foot which I had not seen before. I also checked for mites but didn't see any. The symptoms are in 3/4 cages.

Can bumble foot cause these symptoms? what going on with my birds. I raise them for eggs and meat and I'm very worried about them.

What can I do to help them? or do I need to start over?

Thank you for any and all help.

2. contactvidura

contactvidura Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Sri Lanka
  3. marieb1

Oct 8, 2014
    I clicked on the link and it want allow me to enter

4. marieb1

Oct 8, 2014
    Also 25% are about a year old, 25% are unknown age and the other 50% are 12-14 weeks old. Could it be old age (finger crossed) but im sure it something...given my symptoms.

5. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Finnisher

Finnisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    Could be heatstroke?

7. Finnisher

Apr 26, 2016
    Just checked Pheonix temp, 30 C is most likely heat stroke if they don't have shade

8. contactvidura

contactvidura Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Sri Lanka
    30C wont give them a heat stroke for sure, during the day time these days temperature in Sri Lanka goes up to 38 C and none of my quails had any issues yet.

9. Finnisher

Apr 26, 2016
    There was like 5km/hr wind that day with 17% humidity at 1pm when i checked could definitely be a cause, the heat.

10. Finnisher

Apr 26, 2016
    Today is 33C, 12% humidity, 8km/h winds. Idk seems hot and dry to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by