Very sick Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickhaven1, Jul 8, 2010.

1. chickhaven1

chickhaven1 New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    SO I went outot the feed the chicken this morning, hens in the house and boys in theres everything was fine... then I went aboutmy morning I look out and notice one of the roo just laying there and the other trying to have sex with him... so i ran out there to see if he was dead and he was still alive, but he has no movement in his body, just lays there his head moves fine and he is eating in the little box I have him in now... what what do I do... he wont walk at all???

2. Rohnasmom

Rohnasmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    Bradford County .Pa.
    is it very hot where you are? Is he breathing heavily? Could he have taken a fall?

3. chickhaven1

chickhaven1 New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    its humid we have had rain off & on all week but they have shade and water its gets to about 90 or so where he was laying was out in the pasture area of there coop... its an enclosed 1000 square foot area with a covered coop in the center... its like he had no spine movement

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It almost sounds like a fight to me. Is that possible?

5. chickhaven1

chickhaven1 New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    Very possible... we have 9 roo in the pen... when i got there they had riped off part of his comb... they are buffs orphs which are usually very docile, i just dont know... is there anything I can do for him... or is this just a wait & see thing... I have him in a small box with food & water

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    IF this is from a fight, I would keep him isolated(like you have him) where it is dark and quiet with food and water with some electrolytes added(these help with stress). Maybe try to give him some treat like a boiled egg or yogurt.
    He may not be walking due to an injury OR it could be a disease process.
    At this point, supportive care is what I would try until/if he begins to show any other symptoms.
    I wish I had better advice to give you.
    I sure hope he starts to get better.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor boy must have lost some fight...perhaps his adversary hurt him bady and he is unable to move? Did you try giving him a pinch on his feet to see if he is able to feel anything? Maybe separate him and keep him cool.

8. ThePolishPrincess

Quote:9 roosters?! I hope you have enough hens for them...that's the problem. Even if you have them in a roosrer-only group, alone, there are so many of them, they WILL fight. You can keep roosters in all-male groups if they are small and able to be managed. Buff orps are docile, but they are still roosters and have the natural instincts to fight for dominance. The rooster in question is obviously the loser. At first, I was wondering why one rooster was mounting the other. But now it can be said that they do not have enough females to satisfy them. This can very well happen again.

9. chickhaven1

chickhaven1 New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    these roosters never see the women they are just hanging out together & have for about a year... we have 17 hens & two roosters in with them but these guys just hang together on teh other side of our house so that they done see each other... how many is a small group... we give them lots of treat & lots of space... I hate to get rid of some but i may have to..
    I will give him so treats they love my egg pie so i will probably take some out to him... Ill try the pinch thing too....

10. ThePolishPrincess

It sounds like you really love your birds. Trust me, I also hate to get rid of a good roo, but roosters were meant to have hens. I've heard stories about roosters living in harmony together, quite a few of them, and never having fights or injury do to them. But I cannot imagine such things truly exist unless they are not even able to see, or HEAR hens. Even then, it's sketchy. Everything is run by instinct.

As far as a number, I cannot give specifics. I've never kept roosters alone in groups. I'd start with 4 or 5 and see how things work out. Of course, should you decide to lessen your flock, expect some more fighting to help establish a new pecking order. Things should calm down when everyone knows their place. And if not...remember, we're talking roosters here, not hens. They fight. Hens will fight for dominance but I never consider it very dangerous. Roosters, on the other hand, can pack a punch. And they're very impulsive. I cannot make promises about this clearing up. It's really tough, and one boy has already been victimized for being the weakest. How many more will follow? It sounds like they want hens.

As far as your hurt boy is concerned, if he is in a little bit of shock and pain, he might be able to pull through. Eating and drinking are both good signs. If he has feeling in his legs, that's also good. My prime concern for his welfare is his legs being broken or fractured. But injury is NOT my thing. I'm hoping someone with such experience comes along and gives aid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by