VERY SICK ROOSTER!!

ChickenMan691

Hatching
Dec 19, 2016
I recently had the bright idea of finding a rooster for my flock from Craigslist. There was a beautiful 8 mo old (Americana?) who is copper, gray, and black in color. Stunningly beautiful...er, I mean handsome! His owner said that she was giving him away because the older rooster picked on him. So...I went and got him. A day after I got him home, I noticed that he had sneezes. I was anxious to show my(his) ladies their new partner, but I kept him at a distance. . .

The symptoms started to worsen. His right eye was closed and had dried crud all in it. I began searching the Inet for a diagnosis and solutions. It appeared to be Coryza, but the medical info online is contradictory and vague. I pushed next to the bad eye, and a hard whiteish puss oozed out of the eye socket. I desperately searched for more info. Youtube has several videos about various chicken surgeries and treatments. The American sites said to cull/put down the sick bird. The foreign sites treated coryza with antibiotics. I was more lost than ever!

One thing became clear... the rooster would probably die if left untreated. Therefore, I had nothing to loose to try and save him!

I cannot afford to spend $500 at a veterinarian. I bought antibiotics (Duramycin) at the local feed store. I began a regimen of daily doses in his water. He seemed to get better.

A week went by, and he began to relapse. There was a lot of mucus coming out of his mouth. He then developed an foul smelling odor. I also noticed that he had a mite infestation. I began intravenous duramycin. He grew weaker and weaker. As I had seen in one of the videos, I began to coat his throat with VetRX and antibiotics. It help him breath better for a few hours.

The food pellets began to stick in the mucus, and he could not swallow it down. He lost weight. The mites were going in and out of the sinus passage. I treated for the mites with a warm bath, and mite dust. I began to feed him very soft oatmeal mush by syringe. He responded well to that, and gained a little strength. You can tell that he really is miserable, BUT that he is fighting for his life!

Because of his will to live , I will not give up either! I am committed to see it to the end. If he survives, I will never place him into the flock, but he will always have a home with me! He has lasted several weeks where most videos said he would be dead in hours! Pray for us both...for wisdom and strength. Yes, it is just a chicken...but is it really? It is a life, and that matters to me!

I'll keep you posted. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Merry Christmas!!

I recently had the bright idea of finding a rooster for my flock from Craigslist. There was a beautiful 8 mo old (Americana?) who is copper, gray, and black in color. Stunningly beautiful...er, I mean handsome! His owner said that she was giving him away because the older rooster picked on him. So...I went and got him. A day after I got him home, I noticed that he had sneezes. I was anxious to show my(his) ladies their new partner, but I kept him at a distance. . .

The symptoms started to worsen. His right eye was closed and had dried crud all in it. I began searching the Inet for a diagnosis and solutions. It appeared to be Coryza, but the medical info online is contradictory and vague. I pushed next to the bad eye, and a hard whiteish puss oozed out of the eye socket. I desperately searched for more info. Youtube has several videos about various chicken surgeries and treatments. The American sites said to cull/put down the sick bird. The foreign sites treated coryza with antibiotics. I was more lost than ever!

One thing became clear... the rooster would probably die if left untreated. Therefore, I had nothing to loose to try and save him!

I cannot afford to spend $500 at a veterinarian. I bought antibiotics (Duramycin) at the local feed store. I began a regimen of daily doses in his water. He seemed to get better.

A week went by, and he began to relapse. There was a lot of mucus coming out of his mouth. He then developed an foul smelling odor. I also noticed that he had a mite infestation. I began intravenous duramycin. He grew weaker and weaker. As I had seen in one of the videos, I began to coat his throat with VetRX and antibiotics. It help him breath better for a few hours.

The food pellets began to stick in the mucus, and he could not swallow it down. He lost weight. The mites were going in and out of the sinus passage. I treated for the mites with a warm bath, and mite dust. I began to feed him very soft oatmeal mush by syringe. He responded well to that, and gained a little strength. You can tell that he really is miserable, BUT that he is fighting for his life!

Because of his will to live , I will not give up either! I am committed to see it to the end. If he survives, I will never place him into the flock, but he will always have a home with me! He has lasted several weeks where most videos said he would be dead in hours! Pray for us both...for wisdom and strength. Yes, it is just a chicken...but is it really? It is a life, and that matters to me!

Merry Christmas!!
Welcome To BYC
welcome-byc.gif

From your description it does sound like he may have Infectious Coryza.

Since he is not responding to the Duramycin, you may want to treat with a sulfa drug. These can sometimes be more effective. If you can't find sulfa drugs, then you may want to see if you can find some Tylan50, it may work.

If he still has pus in his eye(s), try to get as much of it out as possible. Flush with saline and apply Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eyes.

Oatmeal mush is fine for a very short period of time. A better alternative would be to make a mush out of chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser feed. What he needs is protein. Some people also use Kaytee Baby Bird Formula (sp?). Add some poultry vitamins to his water as well (maybe once a day). Syringing is good, but I will provide a link to tube feeding as well.
@casportpony has a great article on tube feeding and is a good resource for eye/nasal surgery.

Keep him hydrated. If you haven't gotten rid of the mites/lice, keep working on those as well. Since he is in a weakened state, an infestation will just make it worse.

Tube Feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding (Illustrations starts at post# 15) (Some videos on page #1)

Medicine chart - give a good list of treatments- not sure if dosages are correct - so check the formulas (math):
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

Info on Infectious Coryza (probably already saw this, but....)
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza/

Keep us posted on his progress.

I am so sorry to hear about your rooster. I admire and can relate to your determination in getting him well.
I have gone to great lengths to save a couple of roosters. I know that this is hard, but I want to mention a
couple of things for you to consider if your rooster has Coryza. 1.) It's highly contagious to your other birds.
2.) Even if he gets well, he will always be a carrier of the virus. 3.) He can pass this along to his off spring.
4.) This virus can reappear. For treatment, I would highly recommend a vet -Use a saline wash to keep the eye clear.
-I would treat with Tylan 50, but He might need a combination of antibiotics. (That's why I recommended a vet.)
...particularly if the infection is in his trachea. (Laryngeal Tracheitis/Coryza)
-Good Nutrition and Protein are a must in his healing.
-For the Lice ad Mites I would treat him with Ivermectin. (This will take care of any worms that he might have.)
-Any pen, bowls ...anything that he has come into contact with must be disinfected with bleach. (1/10 ratio).
-Use good bio-security. Feed/Care for him last so as not to infect the other birds.

As hard as this is to say...if it were me, I would put him down because of all of the downsides even if he gets well.
You could risk losing your flock. This would not be easy for me. I have kept a rooster in my living room for 3 months
one time, as I nursed him back to health from an injury. ...so I get your difficult dilema..

Merry Christmas!!
Welcome to BYC!

You might want to see if you can get some Baytril or Cipro, either if those will treat most bacterial respiratory infections.
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html
http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom