1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arvin, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Arvin

Arvin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    I understand that this might not be the best first post, but I had to google a chicken forum and join it fast.

My rooster seemed fine until last night, when he showed himself to be slow, sort of lethargic. When I tried to give him water this morning he kept vomiting it all out. Just the water. It seems food doesn't come out, or he can't vomit it, I don't know. His comb has also been droopy for maybe a week now.

I'm in a panic and don't know what to do. The vet is closed for another three and a half hours. Please help.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself answers this thread. Just didn't want you to feel all alone.
    If you know where to locate his crop, feel to see if it is distended,firm to palpation, or just soft and empty. Research "Crop Impaction" here on BYC if it feels firm and full.
    Try to repost with more descriptions of symptoms. Color of comb and waddles. Is he pooing...what does it look like?
    Have you isolated him from the rest of the flock...very important.
    Check around eyes and vent(poo hole) for parasites.
    How old, breed, feeding patterns and places.
    What about legs and feet? any changes there? Yes its all important in order to help you with your bird.

Keep him in a safe comfortable area.
    Saturday night is a bad time to get much help. Hopefully its an impacted crawl/crop.

3. PeeperKeeper

4. PeeperKeeper

5. Arvin

Arvin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Thanks for the advice.

I've checked what I believe to be his crop, and it doesn't seem to be all too hard. He seems rather sluggish and doesn't try to fly up to the top of his coop like he usually does. Umm...

I've also now got him isolated from the hen.

I'm not sure if he has a particular breed. My mom bought him back in August '09 as a dyed pink chick to entertain my nephew when he flew in from the US. They left him here since they couldn't bring a pet with them.

He's fed on mixed seed, and occasionally, we let him go free range. Mostly, he spends his time within the vicinity of the coop. Legs and feet don't seem physically different, he's just lethargic at the moment.

Also I might be seeing things, but he looks more puffed up than usual. I've taken some pictures now, and I'm linking them here to hopefully help.

Thank you again.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1644/sany2606.jpg
    http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4320/sany2607.jpg
    http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3084/sany2608.jpg

Edit: I think his eyes are red too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    So is his crop squishy and does his breath stink a little? Then it might be sour crop. Take a day or two and just dropper water with a splash of gatorade on top of his beak. Try some beef broth. Heat per directions and cool to room temperature and dropper it. The hope is to not complicate the sour crop and hope food will move through. He needs liquids I'm sure. You don't want to feed a bunch of solids with the sour crop or intestinal blockage. I'm thinking that it might be good to add a little antibiotic to the liquids. Maybe there is a bacterial infection in the crop or further down. You may want to empty the crop a little (With caution, only once or twice, for just a couple of seconds (no more than five), tip him forward and massage the crop and see if a bunch of fluids come out. Don't overdo it cause they can choke. Once or twice, that's it.) Now the water with a splash of gatorade, a little antibiotic, and wait a few hours and do some broth). If he perks up later feed only something real soft. I'd get some watermelon and break into little pieces. Then wait for 24 hours. Don't go right back to hard food. Keep it up for 2-3 days.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. Arvin

Arvin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Thanks for the advice.

I've got a hard time trying to smell his breath, he keeps trying to peck me, so I don't know if it smells bad or not.

But I'll try giving him some water with gatorade too. The food I gave him this morning has since passed out into stool. Solid.

I called up the vet and she said to put electrolyte powder in his water for the next few days, as well as give him a tablet called 'tyrox'(sp?).

Is it sound to go with her suggestion?

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Sometimes a chicken will spit up a little clear liquid here and there. Maybe the crop is a little slow or they're sick. If the crop is squishy and gurgly and a bit stinky maybe it's the crop. If he's nipping you, he can't be too bad off. His coloring is a little off in the cheek but there's still lots of red in the comb and wattles.

The vet recommended the electrolytes and I recommended a touch of gatorade. Electrolyte powder is better I'm sure if you have it but add a touch of gatorade or cherry jello powder because it'll make it tasty. And you want him drinking. Dropper drops on top of the beak so he keeps sipping. Okay? That's important.

I don't know what the Tyrox pills are. Did she prescribe or did she tell you where to obtain? I am assuming it's antibiotic or maybe an anti-inflam. Antibiotics would probably be a good idea. I'd heed her advice but be your chicken's health advocate here. Maybe someone else knows what it is. I'm sure it won't hurt.

Now you could find out what the normal temperature range is and use a thermometer under his wing to see if it looks normal. A raised temperature usually indicates some type of infection.

And how does he feel to you. Does he feel skinny in the breast? Is his bottom clean? Is he interested in food? I mean if he's willing to pound the food down, I'd give him all he wants. I just assumed he wasn't really eating.

It's okay if they lose some liquid now and then. Some people here recommend some yogurt in the food. Maybe some plain greek yogurt. I give mine fruit yogurt of any kind on occasion. I did it today mixed with some oatmeal and a little VetRX.

You might want to try adding a little vitamin supplement. You know seed, if you mean scratch, doesn't really have much nutrition to it. You should feed him some crumble or lay pellets mixed with pellet supplement. Use scratch sparingly, maybe as an afternoon snack. They love it but it's chicken equivalent of junk food. Make them eat the good stuff early in the day.

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    You see, when you say his eyes are red, maybe he has an eye infection or sinus infection or an eye parasite. Respiratory infections are common especially at this time of year. Now has he been sneezing at all? Either way, make sure you get going on antibiotics. Check out what the vet recommended. They also have water soluable Duramycin-10 (tetracyclin) powder down at the farm and pet supply stores. They also have a powdered vitamin and mineral supplement. Give him lots of tlc even if you think he hates you.

10. Arvin

Arvin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Thank you. I've got the tablet now, and it's an anti-bacterial. He's definitely eating, but kind of slower than his usual rate. I checked the electrolyte powder, and it seems to be a full supplement. I was instructed to give a higher concentration than normal.

He doesn't feel skinny, though he's a tad light. Or maybe because he doesn't struggle as much as usual. I'll try to find that thermometer. =/

So far, he's drinking the drops, and doing pretty fine when taking it from a dish too. I really hope he gets better. It's just I'm really not used to seeing him like this, since he's been so well these last 2 1/3 years.

I'll also get some yogurt. Thank you so much. :)

Edit: No, he hasn't been sneezing at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by