Very sick turkey pet. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by blackspanish, Apr 9, 2019.

1. blackspanish

blackspanish Chirping

Dec 28, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Hey guys/gals, I haven't been active for a long time and it's only now that I'm in desperate need of any help.

My 3 y/o Black Spanish hen hasn't been eating properly for about 2 months (I know neglected) but she was eating but not the right amount as usual.
    Yesterday on my birthday I decided to take her to the vet and get checked, since she lost some weight and was breathing open mouth.
    She barely got her droppings to clear her bum area, so all her feathers were covered. As I was cleaning her feather before taking her to the vet I realized a swelling reddish ring around her bum.
    Didn't think of it as anything that bad, so vet checked her breathing a bit gargling heartbeat was fine. Stool sample came clean, as the vet was about to clear us with some antibiotics just in case I asked her about the swelling around her bum.
    So the cat felt the area and realized it was puffy like fluid like.
    She took the hen in a different room and got a handing help to stick a needle in her abdomen and guess what?
    When we brought her in they weighed her and she was 11.2 lbs
    The vet took out 2 lbs of liquid out of her abdomen.
    She's now 9.2 lbs and boney.
    We got the antibiotics and painkillers for her, we are force feeding her and giving her electrolytes as well.

So my vet sent me an email with the first part of the bloodwork results, basically she's lost all her muscle mass cause she's been using it to survive.

Now my question is, has anybody been in this situation and if so is it possible for her to bounce back and survive this ordeal?
    She's been our pet for 3 years and we are not ready to give up on her.

Any help in what we can feed her would be great.
    Thank you in advanced.

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If available get a quality turkey starter or grower for her. If not possible, get a good 20% protein all flock feed for her.

If you can get the starter or grower, just use it long enough to get her weight back and then switch her to the all flock as a maintenance diet.

3. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    What do you mean she wasn't eating properly? Get her some good feed ASAP!

4. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    Ah, I'm afraid that she has ascites (also called 'water belly'). I so wish I wasn't the bearer of bad news, but generally the prognosis is not good.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/ascites-syndrome
    https://articles.extension.org/pages/67051/causes-of-ascites-in-poultry

You could ask the vet to show you how to drain the fluid at home, there are videos of the procedure on youtube, but for chickens. So sorry again, but I thought that you should know, so you don't go overboard with spending money at the vet, and at the same time make sure you spend as much time as possible with your sweet pet.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  5. blackspanish

blackspanish Chirping

Dec 28, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    The vet believes it is egg yolk peritonitis. Does anyone know if it is possible for her to heal from this? Thanks for the suggestion on the grower feed. We are going to try that out. She needs to gain weight and strength quick.

6. blackspanish

blackspanish Chirping

Dec 28, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    She was not eating her normal amounts. We now know it was because if the amount of fluid pressing inside her abdomen. She gets the best foods. All super fresh.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  7. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    ok, that's good! I didn't know if you meant she wasn't getting fed correctly... I would agree with water belly though.. @casportpony @Wyorp Rock

8. blackspanish

blackspanish Chirping

Dec 28, 2016
    Ontario Canada

Attached Files:

9. blackspanish

blackspanish Chirping

Dec 28, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Do you believe this fluid to be water belly? Or egg perotinitus?

10. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    Well, you didn't mention the vet's suspicion in your post, but you did say that she needed prompting from you to examine the bird's abdomen, so that sent me on a wild turkey chase. And I don't know turkey breeds :oops:, apparently meat turkeys are those more prone to cardiovascular disease, 'preventing the right heart valve from closing. This results in the accumulation of blood within the liver, which eventually leaks into the body cavity, causing ascites.' And you did say 'breathing open mouth.'

Egg yolk peritonitis can result in fluid in the abdomen and is diagnosed with blood work, so the vet could likely be on the right track. Prognosis a little better.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/egg-peritonitis

But why the difficulty in breathing?

Editing after seeing the vials: Don't know the answer to your question.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    blackspanish likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: