Very skinny chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cv123, Dec 10, 2013.

1. cv123

cv123 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Hello I hatched a variety if chicks but one - my chamois has not grown as quick as all the others, she is also sooo skinny no meat on her at all... But she doesn't appear unhealthy appart from that... Still full of beans when trying to be caught!

Any ideas anyone??

2. cv123

cv123 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    I am VERY concerns about her VERY low weight

3. AmyWho

AmyWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Portland, OR
    What other breeds do you have? Perhaps she's a smaller breed than the rest?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. cv123

cv123 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    I saw the hens she came from and they were the same size as the standard polish I so have... Her breast bone protrudes massively she is very thin... :-(

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you worm your chickens? Check for lice or other bugs on chickens. Are you sure a chicken is not bullying her at the feeder?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My first guess would be that she has worms, or a parasite infestation. Make sure that she doesn't have lice or mites. Has she been dewormed recently?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Weigh her, dust for mites/lice with 5% Sevin or poultry dust, not DE and worm with something like Safeguard or Valbazen, not Wazine.

-Kathy

8. Kellywooh

Kellywooh New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    I also have problems with skinny chickens. They have been dewormed and dusted. I started giving them a mixture of 1 part sweet feed to 4 parts layer pellets for 2 weeks,( just to get them to eat more layer pellets).
    At night I mix in whole wheat, at a weight of 30g/bird in winter and 20g/bird summer. They are eating way more layer pellets now, so I amgoing to only add the sweet feed intermittently. Happy to say the chickens are finally starting to put on a bit of weight, they seem a lot more active, and their feathers look better too.

9. cv123

cv123 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    I seem to be getting over the skinny chicken, I re-wormed again, now with dried meal worms corn and pellets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by