very skinny sick chicken on Penicillin G not improving.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swadle, Jan 26, 2015.

1. swadle

swadle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I have a very sick chicken. She started with very pale wattles and comb but she ate and acted normal. I wormed her a couple of months ago. Then she started to act broody. But her wattles and comb were very pale. So I dusted her. Last Friday she wouldn't move so I brought her indoors and she is very skinny. I started to give her penicillin G injections but she doesn't have much meat at all. She doesn't drink unless we put her beak in the water then she will drink a bit. I have been putting nutri-drench in her water and today gave her some save a chick. She doesn't want to drink or eat just sleep. The penicillin doesn't seem to be working. And I have Baytril and Tylan 50 I could give her. Does anyone have any advise. I am really surprised that she has lasted this long. And how can I make her eat a bit.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    What did you use to worm her?

How does her crop feel?

How are her poops looking?

How old is your girl?

Does she have any nasal drainage, wheezing, coughing, rasping, or a foul odor coming from her?

Does she have any swelling? Have you checked her over for injuries/wounds?

I would boil an egg, chop it up and offer it to her. You may need to start tube feeding her to get enough liquid in her to help her heal... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

@Eggcessive or @Caspotpony will have more info for you when they come along, I hope!

MrsB

3. swadle

May 24, 2011
    I wormed her with Valbazen
    Her crop is empty
    liquid she hasn't ate in a while.
    1 or 1.5 years
    Her poop smells really bad
    no wheezing, coughing or anything respiratory.

Her feet look kind of strangle. She is a Cochin banty so its hard to see them completely.

thankd

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she's not drinking she needs to have fluids tubed to her, which I can teach you to do if you can get the tube and syringe. Can you take a poop sample to the vet and have it checked for coccidia, worms, bacteria and yeast? If not, you could try Baytril and maybe even worm her again. What Baytril do you have?

-Kathy

5. swadle

May 24, 2011
    she will drink a bit if i dip her beak in the water. I have Baytril 2.27%. I am not sure of the dose. She weighs 1.5 lb. I wormed her then 10 days later I wormed her again. So I dont believe it is worms. Is tube feeding hard?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Some vets will prescribe Baytril at 10mg/kg twice a day... So for your hen, with the 2.27% Baytril, that's 0.3ml twice a day.

Tubing is easy, let me find the some links for you.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. swadle

May 24, 2011
    thanks we gave her .30 ml tonight. where can i find the tubing for a feeder? we looked at Walgreen's this weekend and they don't have any.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Most vets will have tubes (size 18 french), but if you can't find a vet to sell you one, get 16" of aquarium air line. It will have to be modified by melting the end with lighter to make it smooth enough for the esophagus and crop.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by