very sleepy chick!! :(

SablepootFarms

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
I just got 5 day old chicks (speckled Sussex) the tiniest one ladoza I named her. Is always sleeping! I changed the the water like five times in the last 6 hours I have had them. I tried picking her up and moving her and she just plopped back down and went right back to sleep earlier she was normal drinking and pecking at her food. But bow she's just sleeping..please help I'm worried for my littlest girl.:(

I would grab a dropper and give her a few drops of Sav-A-Chick or a homemade electrolyte solution every once in a while to perk him up. :)

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

To make a smaller dose, divide the recipe - half gallon, half ingredients; quarter gallon, quarter ingredients, etc.

I would also run Corid 20% powder or 9.6% liquid in the chick's water just in case it's Coccidiosis (they ALL need to drink it). Use 1 TABLESPOON per gallon of water for the 20% powder (I'll have to look up the liquid dose). Make a fresh one every day and change it out a few times a day. Treat for five to seven days (or up to two weeks for really bad cases of Cocci). They should have access to the Corid water ONLY during this time.

You may have to feed her the Corid with a dropper if he goes off his food and water.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Well we lost one last night. She was on her back and barley breathing. So my baby girl was suffering so we put her down. I you know I know its nature and what not but I couldn't help but just tear up. She was so weak. Poor baby Ladoza. R.I.P. So now another once active chick is starting to do the same thing but she has alot fight she made it through the night. These babies are stressing me. :/

Get Corid in them as soon as possible. Chicks are very susceptible to Coccidiosis and it will wipe out your chicks if you don't treat it. It sounds like they might have come from where you got them with Cocci. I would contact the seller and inform them of what's happening... If nothing else, it will help them save the remaining chicks.

You can get Corid liquid at most feed stores. It will be in the goat/cattle section. If you can't find it locally, rush order it from Amazon or something.

MrsB

Last edited:
Try giving her electrolytes or sugar/honey water, that will give her a boost of energy. Usually, when chicks are shipped from a hatchery, a few die from the stress of it all, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Hi, I was doing research and went to the local livestock store and bought the corid. The guy who helped me was very helpful. He offered another "chick" sort of booster to put in their water. I also got a syringe to try and drop some water near the beach. When I got back she was stretched out trying to lift her head up but couldn't. I think the others had trampled her wile she was sleeping...so I lost her. I'm pretty sad..but I have treated the others and their not showing no signs of the other two have. There normal their quiet though..not to much noise. But otherwise bouncy and alert one gets up it makes sure the other two are up and active it seems. So hopefully things go well. I'm happy though hoe strong and curious these three are. Thank you for your advice! Your help to. They are still only two days old the guy said very fragile stress from the ride home?

Back
Top Bottom