Very Sleepy Hen

SixPlusChicks

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2016
Please help! I have a black Australorp hen that seems to sleep all of the time. She does eat and stay hydrated but the bulk of the day is spent on the roost. If we bring her out of the pen, she'll peck around for a bit but then typically returns to the roost. She is blind in one eye but can see just fine with the other. We were told that they were all the same age when we purchased them in April but I am wondering if she is quite a bit older than stated. She does not lay eggs like the others and tends to stay off by herself. We've watched her enough to know that she does eat and drink fine and her poop is normal. I'm completely clueless as to why she wants to sleep so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

We treat the flock with a routine dewormer in their feed. Do I need to give something on top of this?

We treat the flock with a routine dewormer in their feed. Do I need to give something on top of this?

I don't think so. I'm not really sure what is wrong. It could also just be that she isn't as active because she is blind in one eye. Hopefully someone else will have better suggestions...hope all goes well!

And I forgot to say in my first post, welcome to BYC!

I don't think so. I'm not really sure what is wrong. It could also just be that she isn't as active because she is blind in one eye. Hopefully someone else will have better suggestions...hope all goes well!

And I forgot to say in my first post, welcome to BYC!
Thank you, TheKindaFarmGal! :)

Back
Top Bottom