Very Sleepy WC BLK POLISH ROO, THEN was hit by falling Pallet! HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladychicken&Ducklover, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    This is my first posting on this thread because so far, knock on wood, I havent had any issues.

However, within the past 4 days, my once VERY active Polish Roo, has been lethargic, disinterested in " HIS GIRLS", and just falls asleep where ever he is in the yard.

His girls would run circles around him trying to get him to interact with them.

He Always would find treats for them and round them up , one by one, and in the order HE wants, he will make them go up into their nice , enclosed , nest box area ..tucking them in..

Now, we have been having ALOT Of wind, and where I live, back in the woods, Pine cones are always dropping , and Hard..

I have Not witnessed him getting hit by one.

Today...my son was cleaning the yard, when one of the heavy Pallets Ive been working on turning into a little storage shed, was blown over by a 40 mph wind gust, Trapping my sweet RoBY THEo, underneath it!!

My son ran over and lifted the pallet off him , and looked him over, and didnt find anything obvious.

Now, just like the past few days, he just Falls asleep , Anywhere, Anytime, and in ANY position, while his girls go running around not being " Disciplined" by him..

He does wake up and run around looking for his girls , finds them, then ..BOOM, back asleep.

My son and I had to " round up" his girls , up their ladder and into their "bedroom" , all the while, Phil, My roo, would just stand around or run Underneath their bedroom, Not seeming to " care " what happened to the girls..

So,

can chickens get "CONCUSSIONS" and if they do, do I try to " Keep him awake" like they say to do with humans ???

I do hope I hear some encouraging news from BYC'ers, saying that its Ok for a Roo to " doze " , alot..

OH..BTW...

I do want to mention that he is very active in the mornings, like usual, but as the day wears on, later in the afternoon, is when he starts his " Naps ", if that helps anyone..

Thank you so much,

Im so scared..

DD

2. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    ladychicken&Ducklover :

This is my first posting on this thread because so far, knock on wood, I havent had any issues.

However, within the past 4 days, my once VERY active Polish Roo, has been lethargic, disinterested in " HIS GIRLS", and just falls asleep where ever he is in the yard.

His girls would run circles around him trying to get him to interact with them.

He Always would find treats for them and round them up , one by one, and in the order HE wants, he will make them go up into their nice , enclosed , nest box area ..tucking them in..

Now, we have been having ALOT Of wind, and where I live, back in the woods, Pine cones are always dropping , and Hard..

I have Not witnessed him getting hit by one.

Today...my son was cleaning the yard, when one of the heavy Pallets Ive been working on turning into a little storage shed, was blown over by a 40 mph wind gust, Trapping my sweet RoBY THEo, underneath it!!

My son ran over and lifted the pallet off him , and looked him over, and didnt find anything obvious.

Now, just like the past few days, he just Falls asleep , Anywhere, Anytime, and in ANY position, while his girls go running around not being " Disciplined" by him..

He does wake up and run around looking for his girls , finds them, then ..BOOM, back asleep.

My son and I had to " round up" his girls , up their ladder and into their "bedroom" , all the while, Phil, My roo, would just stand around or run Underneath their bedroom, Not seeming to " care " what happened to the girls..

So,

can chickens get "CONCUSSIONS" and if they do, do I try to " Keep him awake" like they say to do with humans ???

I do hope I hear some encouraging news from BYC'ers, saying that its Ok for a Roo to " doze " , alot..

OH..BTW...

I do want to mention that he is very active in the mornings, like usual, but as the day wears on, later in the afternoon, is when he starts his " Naps ", if that helps anyone..

Thank you so much,

Im so scared..

DD

Whenever my chickens are lethargic I treat them for cocci with Amprol and then for worms with Wasil (sp?). Also, recently, they had problems with mites. That was a huge problem as they stopped eating. When this happened I looked for mites, removed "nests" and treated them with poultry dust (7-dust will work in an emergency). If I were you, I would treat for worms just in case and also dust for mites. Good luck!!!​

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Do his wings droop? He might have cocci, if so you might dose him with corid. Any other birds affected? Idk about the concussion part.:-(

4. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:ditto and you better act quick

5. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    His lethargy is DEFINITELY him sleeping off some sickness, poor little guy.
    What the sickness is, you have to look carefully for, in bidy discharges, plumage, skin & temperment.
    He may have had mold/fungal contamination which is slowly progressing. I've had this experience quite a few times. He may have cocci he's fighting.
    He may have mites ...hard to tell. You might get him some "Rooster Booster" from TSC or a livestock supply place, and feed that to him along with the
    recipe of apple cider vinegar, garlic & hot pepper that a few people have listed here, to kill parasites, change his internal pH, and boost his immunity.
    I've never tried this, but many people like it. You may win or not win the battle for his restored health, but if nothing else, you'll give hi more time this way.
    Good luck! I know it's hard when one of your best birds is struck with illness.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you think he has any internal injuries?? Poor baby, I hope he will be okay

7. ladychicken&Ducklover

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Thanks for the quick replies..

What is " ROOSTER BOOSTER "??

I do have a TSC , is that where I would get the treatment for the Cocci ( sp?)..?

He does shake his crest feathers and scratch alot.

How do they get Cocci??

No one else in his flock are acting weird..

Thanks everyone.

8. ladychicken&Ducklover

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Quote:His wings are tight against his body still, nothing that seems different.

Could you describe a little further what you mean by " droopy wings", please?

Thank you

9. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Rooster booster is a supplement for poultry. I mix up molasses, corn syrup, and corn oil in equal parts and give them some of that. Cocci is present in the soil,but usually more than one bird gets it. Droopy wings means the wings are against the body , but the flight feathers droop down rather than being held tight as usual, so the feathers fan out. Sleepiness is a symptom of cocci. Feed stores carry Corid. Do a search and read up on cocci , see if you think that's what he has. If he is not up to par you should separate him so he doesn't get picked on or pass it along. Hope he recovers. Is his crest red or pale ? If he is scratching a lot he may have mites so pick up some poultry dust just in case.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  10. MadamePoulette

MadamePoulette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Our Golden Polish Roo had been going through the exact same symptoms. We isolated him and tried everything we could to make him better. Unfortunately he died yesterday (a week after we first noticed symptoms) and when I went to get him out of the isolation pen, I noticed lots of little white beetle looking insects all over his wing. Apparently these are lice/mites, I don't know if this was the exact cause of his illness, but after reading a few of the posts on the tread you should definitely try to treat him for this just in case. Hopefully you have a better outcome then we had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by