1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very slow growing chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lexie Lou, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Lexie Lou

Lexie Lou Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    Big Sky Country
    I have a 7 week old Americana chick who is very small, she all so has a very cured beak with a short lower beak and an odd fleshy growth under her beak. she is only slightly bigger then my Bantams of the same age. I am hopping someone will have some ideas how to help her grow. Thank you
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

These kinds of beak issues are seen in Easter Egger* and sometimes pure Ameraucana stock more frequently than other breeds; it usually manifests as a crooked or scissor beak, but sometimes develops like this. Trimming the beak a little may help, as could providing a deep dish for her to eat from - but the small size is most likely because she is not able to eat enough to grow properly. The fact that her beak is already impacting her ability to eat at such a young age suggests that her lifespan may not be all that long, so be prepared to potentially lose her.

*The bird you have is not an "Americana" (correct spelling Ameraucana) but an Easter Egger. These are hatchery stock Ameraucana hybrids, and are very frequently mislabeled as Ameraucanas/Americanas.

3. Lexie Lou

Lexie Lou Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    Big Sky Country
    Easter Egger, I am good with that. I had come to that realization already just hoping to find ways to make her life better. Any thoughts on the fatty tissue under her beak?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I can't really see that from this angle. It could be an odd shape of wattle tissue, it could be a simple growth, could be a side effect of the beak issues.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think she isn't eating well enough or the other chicks may bully her away. Maybe if you hand/ spoon fed her some soft foods like, scrambled egg, plain yogurt, warm oatmeal it would help her fill out. With the extreme beak issues, there is also the chance, she has deformities you can't see.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by