Very small chick compared to the others, also possible cockerels??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nutmeg2356, Mar 14, 2017.

1. nutmeg2356

nutmeg2356 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Hello everyone!
    I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but my barred rock chick seems much, much smaller than the others... Is this normal for the breed? She's so very, very sweet, and loves being held and also enjoys belly rubs. Just very worried since she seems so tiny compared to the others, especially since the other "runt" (one of the wyandottes) has caught up and is pretty close in size with the other wyandotte...

I have:
    2 ameraucanas
    2 silver laced wyandottes
    1 buff orphington
    1 light brahma
    1 barred rock
    1 black australorp

On a side note, I love Bambi's (the brahma) fuzzy feet [​IMG] SO cute!

Will post pictures in a bit

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I had a really small barred rock, too. No one picked on her (Out of 2 other BRs and 3 slightly older ameraucanas)
    If you notice her getting picked on, then you have a cause for concern. Here is a picture of her as a chick:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good luck and have fun with your chicks!

3. nutmeg2356

Feb 28, 2017
    She doesn't get picked on, from what I can see. Just a little worried about her growth [​IMG] She doesn't seem to have grown much, while the others are a lot larger compared to when I got them. They will be 3 weeks old today. She's one of my favorites, so I hope everything is okay!

4. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I wouldn't worry with no signs of bullying.I bought 20 heritage Rhode Island reds, one was literally 1/2 the size of the others .Tiny would squeeze under the others when she was cold , no picking on that I saw .

They are 11 weeks now and I have a hard time finding her, a little bit smaller but not much. Just keep observing, she'll always be your favourite [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Cause she's cute

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. nutmeg2356

Feb 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Now spoiling her won't help [​IMG]....

Do you have a picture of her with the others??

7. nutmeg2356

Feb 28, 2017
    The other girls [​IMG]

Lacey (?)- Lacey (was) the bigger of the 2 wyandottes (the other one who used to be tiny is pickle).. now they're pretty much the same size and I've mixed them up [​IMG] So I did my best to guess at who's who:
    [​IMG]

Pickle (again, ???):
    [​IMG]

Twinkie, the buff orph.(at least I can definitely tell her apart from the rest[​IMG]):
    [​IMG]
    Bambi, the light brahma:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the ameraucanas (haven't named these 2 yet...):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The other ameraucana:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nutmeg2356

Feb 28, 2017
    On a side note... Is one of the ameracaunas possibly a cockerel? or are they just different colors? I noticed, today, that one of their tails is light & longer, while the others tail is a lot stumpier and darker. I included pictures of the tails above

9. nutmeg2356

Feb 28, 2017
    The 2 wyandottes, face pictures... One seems to have a wider rose comb? [​IMG]
    New to chicken world so I don't know how to tell a cockerel form a pullet. But they were sold as pullets (I know it's never 100%)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I haven't had wyandottes, so I wouldn't be able to tell you, but if you post face pics of the two ameraucanas I might be able to give you a guess.
    Great face pics, by the way, when I was trying to determine the genders of my girls, it was impossible to take any pictures that even resembled chicks! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by