Very small chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kathyb2, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Not sure where to put this. I hatched out 9 chicks about 5 weeks ago. They are different breeds but they were all around the same size when they hatched.

[​IMG]

The little black one is a BCM. The other two were hatched at the same time. I hatched out two other Marans that are normal size. She seems healthy but she is really not much bigger than she was when she hatched. She has feathered feet and copper around her neck. She sort of round shaped though. I would guess she was mixed with some sort of bantam but she was not born bantam size. She wasn't even the smallest chick. Any guesses?

2. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    That mite be the breed or like my chicken, we got three mille fleur's they were all the same size as chicks but then 2 month latter she was the size of my fist and the others three times bigger she had no issues excepted being ran over a few times. she'll be fine no dangers heading her way.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would have to agree with it being a breed thing, but I just want to say: I love their coloring!!!!

4. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    The two other chicks in the picture are a Wyandotte and a Wheaten Maran. The little chick is a Black Copper Maran. Marans are large fowl. I hatched two other black copper marans in the same hatch. They are normal sized.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Could it be a throw back gene to a smaller breed in her? If she is healthy and active, I would suspect something gene related that is unknown in the heritage's past. She's an adorable little round thing, that's for sure.

6. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    She is very healthy and active so far. Just strange to me that she started out the same as the others. Seems like she grew normally at first and then just stopped or really slowed down.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If the small fry is normal in every other respect, good appetite? pooping normal poops? not lethargic and falling asleep on its feet?
    Then you have nothing to worry about. It will be interesting if this chick catches up in size or is going to be a small version.

I think it could be a male, by the way.

8. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    Lol, I swear all nine of the chicks are turning into roos. He acts just like the others, just tiny. I saw a pic in another thread of a chick that looked just like him (small with a round shape). I posted in the thread. It will be interesting to know if that chick is still ok.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm just curious, what makes you say male? You can't see the face or the tail. Just a little black ball of cute.
    Isn't the one in the top left corner a hen? I know how you feel...lol 7 out of my 12 I am pretty sure are males. I know for a fact 5 are...lol

10. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    Top left corner is most definitely a male. He is a wheaten maran, too colorful to be a female. Big comb and he has always acted like a rooster. This is the rowdiest bunch of chicks I have ever had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by