1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

very small chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tood, Oct 4, 2008.

1. tood

tood In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    I have a 5 1/2 week old barred rock who is about 1/3 the size of her sisters. Her feathers are very thin almost as if she is molting. She has a lot of spunk and keeps up with the others though she cannot fly to the high roost like the others. Any ideas?

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Just a runt---I have a silkie chick who is half the size of her brothers and sisters but is just a sweet little thing. She has no problem with handling herself! [​IMG] Maybe just build her a lower roost? I also gently toss the smaller ones up to roost--they land up on the bar and sleep at night...they learn real quick to get themselves down and then I toss them right back up the next night...then they just learn to get up themselves. [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Could she be a bantam?

Jody

4. sussexgal

sussexgal Songster

I've got a columbian wyandotte like that... she stayed all fuzz for the longest time, then a few feathers and fuzz..... looked like the moths got into her. She didn't fully feather out until about 2 1/2 months and she is still only half the size of her flock mates at almost 5 months old. She is the cutest thing and can hold her own with no problem. Her name? Mutini - a tiny mutant. [​IMG]

5. tood

tood In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks to all of you who replied. I feel much better. I have placed her on the higher roost a few times, but I worry that the jostling that goes on will unseat her, so now I leave her to fend. I have named her Thumbalina. She is sweet and follows me around. I have taken her to the garden with me when I weed and she is a great help and companion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by