Very small coop ideas?

HidingAmongThem

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
We have a small yard, only about 30ft by 23ft. We'd like to have 3 hens.
There are so many ideas for great coops here, but many are for more hens, or for bigger yards. Can anyone show me ideas for my small yard?
I'd like to still have some room for a small raised veggie garden and some play space for my kids. I also prefer a low-profile coop
wink.png
Thanks!!

I'm nearly finished with my coop for our 2 girls. There is room for 1 more. I have the small little tikes playhouse on top of a run. I'll post pics of the completed project on friday.

I strongly recommend a coop tall enought to stand in. Makes cleaning MUCH easier. 6' tall works for me; I'm 5'2" and dh is 5'10." The Original Coop is 8' tall, plus up on blocks (to keep it above irrigation water). That is overkill in the height dept., at least for us.

If your birds are going to range in your yard or a pen, a nice rabbit hutch (modified) should work; if they will spend most of their time cooped up, then a 5X6 or 4X8 coop is the right size.

Thanks for the ideas!
I can't really accommodate a tall coop as I prefer to remain as discreet as possible.

The Little Tikes playhouses used as coops are really easy to clean.... we have one (now two - a duplex) on a platform to raise it up a few feet and if you don't want to do that the roof will just "pop" off so you can stand up to clean. Here are a few pictures of our 1 playhouse coop and then the "duplex".......
56030_coop1.jpg

56030_duplex.jpg

Hope this helps with ideas!
big_smile.png

Someone on here built her coop into her daughter's swingset, so it is very discreet. I think if you search on here for "playscape" you will find pics.

We just made our chicken tractor 2 weeks ago for our 4 hens. We move it every 2 days so they can get fresh weeds and grass. Check out my BYC page for photos. It is around 4x4 sitting on a garden cart for easy moving. The girls seem quite happy in it and none of the neighbors have complained and think it looks like a little playhouse. Good luck.

mine is small its a coop and pen around with a roof..
its only 7x7...and ive had about 15 girls in it at a time with no cramped up
birds
tongue.png

i think i have a picture of it before i put on the roof around
also it has abunch of plywood but they are off not so it doesnt look that ugly
i only did that cause the winter it snowed and phoenix arent good in open chill wind

PTDC0011-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom