Very Small Egg Laid

LDuncan

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
My Welsummer laid a very small egg, probably ⅓ the size of one of her eggs, and is now just standing around with tail down. I can tell something is wrong. Any ideas, I don't see any thing wrong with her physically other than the fact that she laid such a small egg.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure your right. I am thinking she has something like a chicken cold. Im going to see a chicken expert tomorrow and ask about her symptoms.

I have five chickens, all 1.5 years old and this is really the first one to be sick. I only noticed it today, so I am worried, but keeping my eye on her. I will bring her in the house if I feel she gets worse and then I can watch her better.

I am glad to have Backyard chickens for help when I feel I need advice!!!

I LOVE my chickens and I am knitting them sweaters next week for a photography. Stay tuned!!

Well, it should be much less likely to happen at 1.5 years old. Chickens generally have a better appetite during the colder months, and drink less. Look at the diet of your birds. A good balanced layer ration in addition to a quality vitamin-mineral soluble powder supplement like Avian Super Pack serves as a boost for unbalanced feed rations, or stress from weather, new locations, etc. You've had birds for a year, so I don't mean to inform you as if you are an amateur.

If you see symptoms of respiratory problems, it is best to treat as soon as possible. Tylan is the antibiotic of choice for respiratory problems. Remove birds showing symptoms from the ones that are not and treat them in a separate area that provides them with shelter from weather, food, and water. Tylan 50 is given at 1/2 cc under the skin on the back of the neck, usually with a 25 gauge needle. If the bird is over 5lbs, an additional 1/2 cc should be given in the breast muscle. Birds that are dehydrated are more prone to soreness or reddening of skin at the point of injection. A little irritation may be noticed at the injection site. Do it each day for 5 days. A few drops of Vet-Rx can be added to the water to help the sinuses open.

Last edited:
I see this morning that she has puffed her feathers up. She doesn't show any signs of respiratory problems (I'm not sure what they would be specifically, but will research that) To me she looks fine in that respect. Running out to the Concord feed to talk to them.

Back
Top Bottom