Very small egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cathy247, Feb 3, 2011.

1. cathy247

cathy247 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    My chickens have been laying for about 5 months now and I get one egg a day per chicken. We just had to give away one hen because she was too aggresive. Just yesterday one of the hens laid an egg that was less than 1/2 the size of a normal egg, almost robin egg size. Does anyone know the reason? Could they be stressed because their "friend" is gone?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That happens from time to time, and it's what I call a "fart" egg! hehe Nothing to worry about. Just a little hiccup in the reproduction process. You will see some very strange eggs.....Wrinkly eggs, eggs with no shell, just a membrane, tiny eggs, even the occasional egg inside an egg, which is rare but does happen.

Nothing to worry about, I doubt if it was caused from stress.

Have a great day!

3. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    Ah yes, I've had one of those "double Omelette" eggs, it was the size of a whopper.

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

We got one of those a month or so ago and I just KNEW it was a 'fart' egg. DS thought that was hilarious actually.

But then we broke her open and it was a perfect egg, little yolk and all. Just the cutest little thing you ever saw... and tastey too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by