very small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vickiinaz, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Vickiinaz

Vickiinaz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    The "girls" started laying last week about a week earlier than expected. I have 11 hens and we are getting 3 to 4 eggs a day, but they are very small. I don't remember this from keeping chickens years ago. Is this normal?

2. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Mine at first were VERY small but the more they layed the bigger. So yes it is normal to get small eggs when they have:) just started laying.

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    When my girls started laying last year they were small eggs and it kinda was wierd. They are called pullet eggs (at least that is what my livestock supply owner told me they were) They will get larger the older and longer they lay. I thought they were totally adorable.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I agree. At first the eggs are smaller. They get bigger as time goes on. [​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My pullet is small and her eggs are tiny but they are whole and strong. I wouldn't want her to lay anything bigger it would really hurt I think

6. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    What breed of chickens do you have?

7. Vickiinaz

Vickiinaz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Makes sense that they would start out smaller. They are just teenagers, after all.

I have 1 Ameraucana (did have two, but we found the rooster dead a week ago for no apparent reason), 1 Buff Orpington, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 "Production Reds" and 3 Barred Rocks.

In addition, we have two elderly Arabian horses (30 and 18), two elderly Labradors (12 and 11) and an elderly cat (18). We aren't so young ourselves anymore, but everyone is fine and apparently in total denial of their ages.

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    yes, they start out small..in fact in another 6-8 months they will get larger. I have some Salmon Faverolles and they do not lay a large egg at all..it is small to medium size. My EE's lay a very large egg, and my partridge Cochins lay a nice egg and of course my bantams lay a smaller egg, but they are D'uccles and I really am impressed with the size of their egg.

9. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:ha ha love that [​IMG]

and they have to be stretch out my dear

10. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    My brown eggers were small at first and now over a month later they are almost normal size but 2 of my EE's that just started laying WOW they are almost full size eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by