Very small hatch and need a substitute for chick starter and vitamins?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tmb3fan, Feb 11, 2009.

1. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    I have 6 eggs in the bator on day 18. I have no idea how many will hatch since this is my first time. Not wanting to buy 25# of chick starter and end up with no chicks, I was wondering if anyone has made a substitute feed for a day or two before buying some chick starter? Also, what did you use for vitamins?

I was thinking of processing some rolled oats and cracked corn into a small size they can eat, you know smaller than the crumbles. Also, provide some yogurt and scrambled egg. Has anyone used a mixture like this for hatchlings?

Thanks,
    Teri

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A couple of our local feed stores sell it by the pound. Also our Orschelns this time of year has small bags (5 lbs. I think) of chick starter available.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I think Jefferslivestock.com sells some 5 lb. bags as well.

4. tmb3fan

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    Our feed stores don't sell anything under 25# bags.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Mine doesn't either, but there are online sources. I wouldn't want to try feeding them anything other than chick starter.

6. tmb3fan

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    Well I found the answer to my question at another website so I won't post the link. But here is the info in case anyone else has the same question.

"If you don't have chick starter feed yet, you can feed them for a day or two on instant oatmeal, flaked infant cereal, or other whole-grain cereals. You can put whole grains (rice, wheat, barley, old-fashioned oats, anything) into the blender and blend them slightly. Do not blend completely to a powder --- the feed should have some "grits" in it. Leave the feed with them all the time --- they will stop eating when they have had enough."

"Chicks are best started on a chick starter mash. For other poultry, use the appropriate starter feed for that species, of bird, if available. Mashed, hardcooked egg also makes an I excellent starter feed. You can use breakfast cereal for a few days if it is in a form the chicks can readily eat. Rapidly growing chicks must have a well-balanced starter diet for proper growth and development."

This is exactly what I was going to do, so nice to know they will be good for a day or two. I already have stuff in my pantry without having to spend any money.

I had spoken with an older gentleman that used to make his own starter for the same reason, he would only have a chick or two hatch at a time. He just didn't remember what all he used to make the mix other than grits (no not grit). If you are from the south, you know what I am talking about. He said that his chicks grew up healthy everytime.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

They first day they really do not need food. We offer hard boiled whites.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I buy Starter. I get it at my local feed store. They sell it by the lb. Mostly I make sure they have plenty of water available.

9. tmb3fan

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    Quote:Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by