Very strange egg, now my hen is lethargic. HELP!!!! (Graphic Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micheleannette, Nov 3, 2013.

1. micheleannette

micheleannette New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    After returning home from an overnight trip, I checked my laying box and found one normal egg and one GROSSLY abnormal egg. Now one of my hens is lethargic and has her eyes closed.

As you can see from the egg, it had a soft, rubbery shell, and inside it almost looked, and not to be gross, smelled like cooked chicken. She did lay a normal egg today and her vent looks okay, but she is very lethargic and not eating. Back in July she was attacked by a raccoon and pulled through that. She just started laying again about a week ago.

Please Help!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I suggest that you try and find a bird vet because I have never heard of this

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That appears to be what many call "lash" and is discussed here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/637090/my-first-lash-egg-experience

That may have nothing to do with your hen being lethargic and off feed. It is tough to treat a bird once they refuse food and water. Is the bird drinking on its own? Do you see any lice or mites when you part the feathers as you look along the skin? Is her crop emptying normally? How old is the bird? Have you ever wormed your birds or treated for coccidiosis?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  4. micheleannette

micheleannette New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    Thank you, Plan on doing that tomorrow. Bird vet isn't open on Sunday here. I just went out and checked her, she did go up into the coop, so that is good.

5. micheleannette

micheleannette New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    No, I have not looked for mites, but I know she was vaccinated when I got her. She is about 18 months old. Her crop appears to be okay when I felt it. These are my first chickens, and I have had them for over a year. No illnesses before, other then the rotten raccoon indecent. Thank you for your help.

6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Vaccinated for coccidiosis? If you take the hen to a vet, let us know how it goes. You're welcome.

7. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    I would advise to traet your hen with antibiotic for three days. Some times an immature ovum or infected ovum is detached along with mature ovum and enters the egg track.
    Hens that start to lay firt time or old hens some times produce such type of eggs these are normally known as "Lash eggs". Its a good sign that this infection comes out otherwise it may cause complications and eventually death.
    [​IMG]

If you search the net or BYC forum for Lash egg you will find tons of information.

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Good point and helpful diagram. When you advise an antibiotic for 3 days, which antibiotic do you suggest since there are so many for particular diseases?

9. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Very difficult question. I normally trust pencilin.

10. micheleannette

micheleannette New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    Thank you. I am trying some Cephlexin I had. Will let you know, she is still hanging in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by