very strange happening...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stumble_n_mumble, Mar 4, 2009.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    alright everyone figure this one out lol. my pet duck is awesome super friendly with me and everyone. she has been doing this weird thing since she started laying eggs. as soon as i pet her she squats down and spreads her wings out so there really flat and puts her butt in the air.. she then sometimes secretes a white liquid from "there".... what is this?? any ideas???

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    she sees you as dominant, and is submitting to the possibility of being bred, as if you were a drake. By petting her you are "asking her to submit" in duck language. Don't blame her, you made the first move, LOL

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Uhhh...

she is submitting

she sees you as 'the drake'

4. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    welll I don't know anything about it...but just using some comparison to cats... [​IMG] .... could it be she's asking for some ....eh-hem......fertilization from you??? Is there a drake around? or are the eggs unfertilized?

It just sounds too much like a cat/horse.. Cats put their butt in the air if you pet them whiel they are in heat (except mine..for some reason she never does it) and horses (mares) squirt fluid from their bums to show they want it...you know...from a stallion....

I could be WAY OFF....but it's the first thing that came to mind with the description you were giving. (i know...get my mind outta the gutter [​IMG])

5. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    well.....I guess I'm not the only one that thought that...see, I have no ducks so I figured maybe I was way off topic..... so she loves you enough I guess...... [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You were right on target.

My shameless hussy duck Lana is always squatting for Jack. She loves her man [​IMG]

Chirssy....well....she wont squat for him and that makes him mad. He ends up chasing her around. Chrissy does squat for Lana. So yeah, my duck is gay [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    mine does that also! i always wondered what it meant! aww! my Plucky loves me! hehee [​IMG]

8. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    LOL greeat... haha thats too funny. there are no drakes anywhere and the eggs are unfertilized. so she just wants some lovin! :) i think im gonna get a male runner... what kind of babies could they have?? haha

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    The phrase "ugly duckling" was the first thing that jumped into my mind... [​IMG]

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    please, please take her out for a nice meal first

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by