VERY STRANGE HENS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15, Jul 30, 2008.

1. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    hi i live in west palm beach were it is very hot! but dont worrie i have a big fan running on them 24/7 and a light but i havent had one egg in almost 1 month know,,, and they were laying like crazy
    before but im so bafild what could cause this??? there is ants on the ground but i think they might be in the nest boxes so should i lift the nest boxes even higher off the ground or just wait till they start laying please help!thx:D

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is not unusual for hens to stop laying in the heat of summer. Are they trying to molt?

Clean out the nest boxes and get rid of the ants.

3. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    i see my one bucky hen lossing feathers by her rump but the others all still have there feathers is this maybe becase there is a 5 moth old rooster with them???

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Loss of feathers could be from the rooster. Have you checked them for mites and lice?

5. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    i didint know they could get those how can i treat them and how can i get them to use a new nest box will they or will they desagree with it???

6. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    how can you tell when your chicken will lay an egg mine are now 24 weeks old and still not laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by