Very strange question!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barred Babies, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I set 12 eggs on the 4th of December. A week or so later when I took her off the nest to go potty there was only 11. Now I'm more or less blaming me on that since I could have miscounted when I placed them under her. 2 hatched on Dec 24th, and there was only 8 eggs left in the nest. (so now another one is missing) On December 25th when I checked I have 7 babies and 3 eggs left. Yesterday we had a total of 9 babies and the last egg was zipped open where you could see some of the chick. I had a feeling it had died in the shell but since this was my first time I thought I'd wait till today. When I checked them earlier the egg was gone and I still had a total of 9 babies!!

SO, is it normal for a broody to eat the egg and chick if it died during hatch?? [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yupers. Kinda gross, but broodies need the protien, since they tend to forgo eating for sitting. Also, I would think sitting for 21 days would make for some serious boredom.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've seen it; I assumed she was just keeping the nest clean.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    It's good to know she's not the only one!! Was hoping it wasn't some kind of malfunction in her because she has been such a wonderful mother!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by