Very strange situation! WARNING VER Y GRAFFIC!

MissDeb

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Mat-su Alaska
I had a Dellie pullet that I realized was egg bound with her very first egg. When we turned her over, the egg was making its own hole where the lower finger is. The top finger is where her vent was. We of course had to put her down she was
full of infection. But I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this. The egg did come out of the hole that it had made.

Delly2.jpg

Anatomically- the situation doesn't make much sense. It is possible that she was injured by another animal? If the skin/muscle was heavily damaged- straining to lay conceivably could cause her to herniate her reproductive tract out a large opening. The photo looks more like a large bite wound, rather than a necrotic/dead area that an egg managed to push through. I would be on guard for a roving predator- check your coop fencing ect. Watch for other injured chickens- predators usually return ...

Hi there,

Nope, the egg had made its own hole, somehow, someway.We were rather blown away by this as well. As she got older we had noticed that her tail was crooked as well. We can't help but wonder if maybe she had
a deformity of some sort. This was her first egg, she was only 5 months old, if that. The predators we have up here wouldn't bite a chicken on the butt and run
smile.png
(grin)......

If predators can be eliminated from the equation, she may have pecked herself because she was in pain. See how the wound looks jagged? She may have made an opening so that the egg could pass. Her vent does look small and light colored, but that may be because she had just started laying.

Back
Top Bottom