Very strange situation! WARNING VER Y GRAFFIC!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissDeb, Nov 3, 2009.

1. MissDeb

MissDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    I had a Dellie pullet that I realized was egg bound with her very first egg. When we turned her over, the egg was making its own hole where the lower finger is. The top finger is where her vent was. We of course had to put her down she was
    full of infection. But I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this. The egg did come out of the hole that it had made.

[​IMG]

2. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    [​IMG] OMG Ouch, poor girl, how is she doing?

3. MissDeb

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    She was put down right after the photo [​IMG]

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Wow, I'm so sorry! I have never heard of anything like that before. Poor girl!

5. MissDeb

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    I know, it was pretty hard to witness her in such pain. I had never seen anything like it.

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry this happened. I didn't know it was possible.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Oh that poor baby. That was awful!! I'm so sorry that happened to her and you guys...

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Anatomically- the situation doesn't make much sense. It is possible that she was injured by another animal? If the skin/muscle was heavily damaged- straining to lay conceivably could cause her to herniate her reproductive tract out a large opening. The photo looks more like a large bite wound, rather than a necrotic/dead area that an egg managed to push through. I would be on guard for a roving predator- check your coop fencing ect. Watch for other injured chickens- predators usually return ...

9. MissDeb

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    Hi there,

Nope, the egg had made its own hole, somehow, someway.We were rather blown away by this as well. As she got older we had noticed that her tail was crooked as well. We can't help but wonder if maybe she had
    a deformity of some sort. This was her first egg, she was only 5 months old, if that. The predators we have up here wouldn't bite a chicken on the butt and run [​IMG] (grin)......

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If predators can be eliminated from the equation, she may have pecked herself because she was in pain. See how the wound looks jagged? She may have made an opening so that the egg could pass. Her vent does look small and light colored, but that may be because she had just started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by