1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Strange "Stash Nest"!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pollo portero, Mar 14, 2013.

1. pollo portero

pollo portero Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Webberville, MI
    I finally figured out why I wasn't getting so many eggs lately...the girls have been stashing. I couldn't believe the place they picked!
    I had to take a picture and post it for all to see.
    [​IMG]

I sell automotive emblems and script on ebay as my main income and for some reason, the chickens thought the used Pontiac bin would be a great spot! All I can think is..OUCH!

2. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    Your chickens are dooms day preppers and are stock piling their eggs :)

3. pollo portero

Feb 8, 2013
    Webberville, MI
    Well, the eggs were certainly well-protected! There are some nasty metal pokey things in there...it was no fun trying to retrieve them!

4. llandry

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    Is this box even remotely near their nesting box and coop? So funny. What made your girls decide to all of a sudden start laying there?

5. pollo portero

Feb 8, 2013
    Webberville, MI
    There are actually 12 of these boxes-3 rows of 4 boxes-that are stacked. They are right next to the coop, outside and they are quite deep and darkened. I put new nest boxes IN the coop to give the girls more options, but all 7 insist on using only one particular box. I blocked the emblem box yesterday, but 2 of the girls were so insistent on getting in there (they were VERY upset!), that I relented and opened it back up, but put cardboard down on top of the metal so that the eggs don't break. Weird birds.

6. llandry

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    That's just so silly of them. Why would they prefer walking on sharp metal shards when they could walk around in a nest! Weird birds is right. I have one girl who insists on laying in the kids sand box. I used to think that was odd. Until now :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by