Very strange thing happened today....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sminasian, Jul 31, 2014.

1. sminasian

sminasian Hatching

Jul 22, 2014
    I went out this morning to the coop to let the girls out for the day, after filling the feeder, filling the waterer with clean water and cleaning up the "morning poops" (some are as big as eggs!) I bent down to pick up my 1 year old Red Star Tallulah, as I picked her up, she started flapping and got away from me. I felt something warm and wet all over my feet, I thought that she probably had pooped on me, but when I looked down....I noticed it was egg yolk!! It wasn't that she laid an egg and it fell on the ground and splashed on me, it was just yolk.....nothing else. No shell, No white....just yolk. Not sure why. I've watched her all day, and she is acting normally, eating, drinking, foraging with the flock, scratching...This is the first time I've ever encountered this.

Has anyone seen this before? Can you tell me what it is, and what should be done about it?

Thanks! :)

1 person likes this.
  2. JestaCowgirl

JestaCowgirl In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Feed her grits that will help with the shell.where do you live wether might effect the white

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Sorry I must disagree...laying hens need oyster shell to help in the production of nice hard-shelled eggs. Grit is mainly used for digestion through their crop.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    If your hens are new layers (?) then she most likely is getting her system "in gear" ... you'll have what they call 'fart' eggs, shell-less eggs, etc., til their systems get in order. You should offer oyster shell on the side as a supplement to their feed....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: