Very Strange Tumor on chicken left side .. (Pics included)

k7ailaan

Chirping
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Hi,

10 days ago I noticed a small tumor on the left side of the chicken's face. I put her on a soluble anti-biotic for a week, but that did not help. I noticed today it got a lot bigger I opened up her eye, and it is fine, except she can not open it coz of the tumor.

the chicken is normal. Lays every other day, walks fine, eats well, basically normal.

Here is a pic of the tumor
58608_1.jpg

front side:
58608_2.jpg

right side totally normal:
58608_3.jpg

I really appreciate your prompt response, since there is no vet close by and it is only getting worse.

Could be infected sinus cavity or a virus causing it rather than a tumor. First thing would be to buy some Terramycin ointment for the eye, but, if it's a virus, that won't fix the problem. If that happened here and I couldn't verify it was an isolated eye or sinus infection per testing, I would euthanize the bird in case it was respiratory in nature (which those things usually are). I won't treat for respiratory illness. I have never had that in my flock, but many viral and bacterial infections cause eye issues like that.

I would say its 90% not an isolated eye. I opened the eye lid and the eye is perfect.

Any input?

If it was my bird I would treat it with Tylan 50 in the water. She looks like one of my turkeys did (but his was both sides) The Tylan cured it right up. Terri O (PS) there is a chart on dosages somewhere on here

I am by no means a chicken expert, but I would agree with some kind of infection because you said it "grew" pretty rapidly one day, which is rare for a tumor to do. Only because it was about the same for a week or so then one day was much larger... That is just my 2 cents. Good luck I hope you are able to help her.

Back
Top Bottom