Very stupid questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by klf73, Jun 4, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Hi, I am hatching my first dozen that was dropped in my lap. I have been reading like crazy on incubating, hatching, etc. Here is the stupid question. Is there a roo that is not obnoxious? I would love to have one but am afraid my neighbors will hate us. Also, our house is on 1/4 acre and that is pretty much the only grassy area, we have another 1+ acre thats wooded and hubby is going to clean all the underbrush, can they freerange there? Thanks
    Krista

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    THey can free range anywhere, but you'll have to watch for predators. Roosters are not usually obnoxious! I know alot of ppl will tell you horror stories, and there are some bad roos out there, but in all my years of raising birds I have never had one that was bad. (one was teased by neighbors kids until it attacked my son, but there was a reason) You might get the odd feisty one, but you can always put it in the stew pot...

3. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    I had a nice calm rooster and then a Freddy ( Nightmare on Elm Street )

He hated us with a passion. I guess he was just an unhappy guy.

My experience with roosters is that they can start crowing as early as 3AM. Just something to think about.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have on neighbor within throwing distance of my house and they are elderly, I think I will have to scrap the roo idea
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by