very sudden gloopy poop??????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KooKoe, Nov 27, 2010.

1. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Hi all, help please. my one hen has very suddenly fell ill. she was fine as a feather yesterday and this morning. this afternoon, she's got a very messy butt and she is pooing this gloopy mucus? she is also very miff. all puffed up and walks very slowly. apitite is doen as well? Anyone know what this could be??????

I have a possible CRD in quarantine at the moment? may this just be another symptom,

good grief, the mentioned hen just layed an egg on the floor infront of the nest box without a sound??? the shell is like paper? What on earth is up?

2. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Very well could be that she's coming down the whatever the other bird is carrying... any number of the CRD diseases or, sometimes, more than one-- it's not uncommon for carrier birds to be infected with more than one thing.

Off food/water, puffed up and not wanting to move around are all symptoms. Of course, they are pretty much symptoms of anything that makes the bird feel badly, too. But, since they were recently CRD exposed, my money's on that. Intestinal upset can occur, too. Watch the eyes for mucus/bubbles (tiny clear bubbling) or outright gluing shut, watch the nostrils for discharge, clear or otherwise.... sometimes it can just look like the beak is wet...

Egg laying problems/abnormalities are common with many of the CRD illnesses... or anything that makes them feel poorly. They'll usually just stop laying very soon after becoming infected until they're well out of the acute stage.

I can't recommend Denagard enough... order some.
    Expect more in your flock to follow suit...

It COULD be entirely unrelated... but the timing kinda points to the exposure from the sick bird.

Do you have Tylan 50 available where you're at? That might help tide them over until you could get an online order in...
    What do you have available to you over the counter? Anything?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When my brahma hens started to lay they laid some strange eggs some with out shell some felt like water ballons and some like paper. Is this hen just starting to lay then that part could be normal, they just have to work out the kinks.

4. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    update: So She plopped the egg out and then walked on as if nothing happened???? she ate some 'laying mash' (calcium enriched food for laying hens), and then settled in for the night. his all happend at about 5pm (it's currently 11pm here by me).

she has been laying eggs for ages and she has had a batch of chicks already, so she knows how it works. She usually makes huge announcements and fusses after laying an egg.
    Will have to see what she does tomorrow.

My hopes are all riding on this avian vet out in Onderstepoort. I am going to ask them for Denaguard and if they don't have, I would please like the link where you buy online. tomorrow is Sunday, so they are closed. I will have to wait for monday. Sadee looks good too. despite the sneezing, she still lays an egg every day.

[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds good hope she continues to improve. As far as ordering on line can you order from where you live to online places in the usa?If so there are quite a few, theres McMurray hatchery Strombergs, First state vet supply .com, Direct pet super store, just to name a few. Hope you can get some answers from this vet, let us know. Don't know if any carry Denaguard though

6. ND

Jul 20, 2010
  7. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    [​IMG] seems this morning my whole flock has come down with CRD [​IMG]

You were right ND.....

I'll be waiting outside the doors of Onderstepoort vet on Monday morning. If they can't help me, there must be an agricultural place that stocks this Denaguard. Afterall, we also have swine and chicken farmers in this country! I love being South African, but darn this place is backwards some times...

Miss Lydia... most of the time we can import stuff off the nett. We have a home brewery pub and resturant and we order 90% of our ingredients online from the US. the shipping costs are usually rediculous though! But I love my babies and as ND says, you don't need that much, so it will last me a while.

ND: do I still have to keep the sneezing hen in quarantine seen as though they all have it, and are the eggs still ok for human consumption? when they are on Denaguard, will I still be able to use the eggs to eat and does this CRD pose a threat to my cat, dogs, rabbit or budgies? More importantly, does it pose a threat to humans? (sorry for the 20 questions, but I know you have a CRD flock)

8. ND

Jul 20, 2010
    I'm sorry I was right. [​IMG] I learned "the hard way", too. However, I bought nearly my entire flock from one guy... as pullets/young hens. As it turns out, they were already exposed/infected.

First off, there is no threat to humans or other animals from the CRD. It only affects fowl. Neither the eggs, nor the meat are a problem. NOW, if you have a budgie, that COULD me another matter... the budgie could possibly contract it, I don't know. I would assume it could since wild birds can carry/transmit it, a budgie could as well. I'm assuming the budgie isn't in any direct contact with the chickens, so practice good biosecurity there. Wash hands, change clothing...don't cross contaminate or track anything in to the budgie. I have no idea what the effects would be on a budgie or if mortality could be higher.

But dogs/cats/humans/other livestock... no risk of anything.

As for the bird in quarantine...well, I suppose there's not any pressing reason for her to be kept isolated. As you've experienced, anything she's capable of spreading has already probably already been done. [​IMG] What's done is done, so just move forward from there.

One of the reasons I use Denagard is because it has no egg/meat withdrawal. The biggest reason any of the medications have meat withdrawal is because many of the meds are also used in humans. (it's not that they are toxic or harmful to humans) When using any of these meds, a small portion of it will be shed in the eggs and meat for a short time. In the case of meds also used in humans, this unnecessary very low exposure contributes to medication resistance... so when we NEED to treat something in a human, the medication won't be as effective (or effective at all) because a resistance has been built up because of that unnecessary exposure. The same holds true for the medications used in dewormers. Most are used in humans from time to time as needed... and withdrawals times are used so that a resistance isn't built.
    Denagard is a medication that is NOT used in humans (not because it's "bad" for us, only because we use other medications for treatment) and there is no 'fear' of the active ingredients becoming worthless due to minute exposure/resistance. In the countries where it is widely used for poulty, it has no egg withdrawal.

I eat the eggs with no withdrawal and there is no noticed difference in flavor or 'reaction'. Having said that, I suppose anyone could be sensitive/allergic to any medication used, even if it was just trace amounts in an egg... so you'd have to be mindful of that, but it hasn't been a problem for any of us.

I don't know if Denagard will be available for purchase over the counter for you or not. I live in a rural, farm area with heavy livestock (poultry, pigs, cows, you name it) and it can't be found, even labeled for swine, anywhere I've searched. I had to order it online. I ordered it on a Thursday and actually got in Saturday, which I thought was super fast shipping. Hopefully, if you have to order it, you get it quickly despite where you live.

The only downfall for it is it is very bitter to taste. At treatment doses (about 15cc's per gallon), some of the birds may not want to drink it. I mix a hefty dose of sugar in with it, and that helps. Some people use honey. I still mix it in with my preventative monthly treatments, but they seem to drink it better at that dosage. (8cc's for about 5 days or so monthly) I have 21 birds and expect that the bottle I ordered will last 9 months to a year, depending on my monthly dosages. I dose them monthly to help prevent relapses during stress... I may or may not continue to do that... I may cut back the doses to 3 days instead of 5 and see how that goes, or I may just stop once the weather improves and see if I actually do have any symptoms crop back up. Right now, I'm "testing" it in a way. I have some young chicks that have just been exposed/introduced within the last two months. At the time I decided to expose them to the bigger birds, I dosed both flocks for a week, and have continued the monthly doses for 5 days a month. I'm watching carefully to see if any of the chicks develop symptoms. So far, they have completely avoided getting sick, even now that they are fully integrated with the older flock. Does that mean it is completely preventing them from getting it at all? Or does that mean it's just preventing them from showing any symptoms at all? I have no idea, but regardless, I'm pretty impressed. Without testing, I would STILL consider them "infected" and potential carriers (meaning I wouldn't sell them or otherwise expose other people's healthy birds to them), but still... I'm impressed that two months of extreme exposure to my carrier flock hasn't resulted in even one of the 8 chicks showing any signs of infection yet.

Know that your birds will be carriers, like the new bird you brought home. They will be able to infect other healthy birds. They really shouldn't leave your property alive... no sales, no giving away, no showing. I think it's the only responsible thing to do knowing the flock is infected... to help prevent others from the same fate. Unfortunately, not everyone else shows the same responsibility.

But if your birds are just personal pets and for eggs/meat... there's no reason why they can't be treated and then managed as needed. Once out of the acute phase, they'll return to be seemingly healthy, and you'd never know they are carriers unless they have a 'relapse' of symptoms. A good medication like Denagard should clear up the remaining evidence of sneezing that your new bird still has. (Tylan and even baytril didn't get rid of the lingering sneezing of two of my birds...but the Denagard did)

*I* wouldn't waste money/time on a vet if it were me... unless that's the only way you can get certain medications. At least in this area, most avian vets still have no idea about chickens OR chicken diseases (if you can even find a vet to SEE a chicken), and the outcome is the same regardless. If a vet is the only way you can get needed medications, though... it'd be worth it. I'd call to see if they have the Denagard available... or Baytril (second best in this case, IMO)... Baytril is by Rx only (in this country anyway). Be aware that none of the medications get rid of the virus... they basically manage the secondary symptoms that crop up quickly. The CRD virus that's involved will still have to "run it's course", but the medications will help speed that up only because it will keep all the common secondary infections clear.

Good luck-- and sorry to hear you're dealing with this!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  9. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    Well, thankfully there is folks like you who are a fantastic source of information and support. I'm not going to let this get in the way of my happy chickening... My flock is closed and the only sharing is between my mother and myself in our backyards, and like I said before, her roo came with my currently sick hen. so both my chickens and my mother's have CRD. I will let you know what the outcome is. waiting anxiously for monday morning!

thanks again for all your help and encouragement. I freaked out a bit today about this whole thing, and then I realised that I'm not SEEING my chickens, I'm only SEEING this lurking disease. but in actual fact, life is going on...my roo still attacks me endlessly and kicks the feed out of my hand....Brooklyn still falls down flat on the ground when she see's a dove fly over and my hen's still have issues with the new nests I bought. THEY are oblivious to CRD and still very happy chickens!

so from Bad Boy and the Banty Bunch and myself. thank you so much![​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Your words put it in perspective. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by