1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very swollen foot on rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tmberghst, Oct 27, 2010.

1. tmberghst

tmberghst Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    About 8 days ago i noticed my rooster had a very small amount of of a dingy,clear liquid seeping out a little above two of his toes,no swelling,could not find anything besides just the little amount of drainage.The next day I left on a 4 day trip and upon returning all of his foot but one toe was severely swollen,scales peeling up,smelly light brown liquid coming out in several spots.The next morning I started him on penicillin g , 1/2 cc a day,neosporin was applied after the first dose of penicillin and the foot wrapped up for 12 hours.by the second evening the foot was noticeably better.Yesterday the 3rd day of penicillin there seemed to be no change,and this evening when i went to give him his shot the fluid was coming out of his foot again and smelled bad,the swelling appeared to look as it had the day before.I also soaked his foot the first 2 days in a epsom salt solution.Any ideas about what else i could possibly do to help this rooster as he is very loved by my family and all of his girls! THANKS DON

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Can noone help this guy? I have no clue what is going on. Wish I were more help. I hope someone comes along soon!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Try doing a search on bumble foot. I am not sure if that is what is wrong since there usually is no drainage but it might be the start of it. Sounds like the poor guy might have gotten something stuck in his foot.

4. tmberghst

Sep 10, 2008
    Come on some body help me out here.In 4 days the foot went from normal sized to so swollen the scales busted loose and were just hanging in places.Can not find a spot or sore that stands out.Today when I gave him his shot he seemed a little better,but nowhere near right.The pad has a little better color but the top of his foot and toes are almost black in places.Crowing and eating good.Also today there was a little blood coming out of one spot,I assume this was probably a good sign,better than the liquid that has been coming out.I am at day 4 of penicillin treatments and will go to day 7?Have tried to research this but can not find very much.I am sure after day 7 I will still need some type of antibiotics and do not have a clue what to use.He did have bumble foot this summer but shows no signs of it now and what is happening is not any of the symptoms of bumble foot.Please help ,this is a great rooster that my family and his girls love very much. Thanks Don

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If he had bumblefoot this summer I would suspect this is an abscess from some bit of trash or pus that has gradually taken hold. I don't know what you can do other than what you are already doing. Possibly a different antibiotic, but without a culture, there's no way to be sure.

6. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Pictures would be very helpful - at this point, I'm guessing Bumblefoot or Scale Mites.

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    If there's pus oozing out there is an infection somewhere. Soaking in epsom salts and/or betadine would be helpful. You can give him 1cc of penicillin in the breast for a week to help it clear up.

Did you check the bottom of the foot for a scab or is there a scab or swollen area in between toes? Any place at all that looks to have infection that needs to be lanced, cleaned and apply Neosporin????

All that said, I did have one rooster who had a swollen back toe that kept getting worse. There was no sore, no infection, just swelling. Eventually the foot started to swell and kept on swelling. There was nothing I could do. The toes and foot started to turn black and die. It eventually dried up and broke off bit by bit till the whole foot was gone leaving his spur and leg. It's been two years and he gets around great and still does his rooster thing. I still have no idea what happened to him. I've thought maybe a snake or spider might have bitten the toe. In his case, if there had been an infection I might have been able to treat him but there was nothing but swelling till it cut off circulation.

8. tmberghst

Sep 10, 2008
    Thanks Monique,Have been treating him with neosporin and today i opened 2 small dry blistered pockets,and washed with Epsom salt and packed with neo.From reading your post about your rooster he probably has some dead areas on the top of his foot,there is some very black skin on the area of his foot where his toes attach and the top of 3 toes out to the first joint.Its odd you mentioned the snake because the 2 spots I opened are about the right distance apart for a snakebite.All the black area seems to be around the blisters I treated.It is way late in the year for snakes to be out in northern middle Tennessee but I have seen 3 dead on the road in the last 10 days and every long once in a while we find a copperhead on the property,1 pair and a single in 10 years.Hearing about your bird surviving gives me some hope,Spot is a awesome rooster who is very gentle with his hens,they follow him around like he hung the moon!Thanks Don

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:If he can heal and still has circulation to all parts of his foot he may be able to keep the foot and the dead skin/area may flake off and heal. Even if he loses a toe or even his entire foot, he can still get around, I know my guy sure does.

In the past month here my husband has killed a huge water moccasin that was headed into our stables, a rattlesnake in our back yard in the middle of the day (a peacock was fanning and strutting for it), a copper head, and a coral snake in our carport.

10. tmberghst

Sep 10, 2008
    Thanks again Monique,when I treated him this morning looks bad for three of the toes,toenails seem to becoming loose,skin black and dead looking,but I turned him loose and he is with his girls,if he is not going to make it I would rather him not just die in a cage.He is limping but crowing and eating.A little surprised at the lack of response on my post,so thanks again.Will let you know what happens to him. Don

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by