very swollen wattles -- infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frankenchick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    DH has been feeding/watering chickens for me for the last several days, so I'm not sure how quickly it happened. We've had several below-zero days, and this morning when I went down to the coop, I noticed that my BLRW roo had very swollen wattles. It also looks as if someone smeared black ink along the lower outside of his right wattle.

Is this frostbite + infection? What can I do for him?

2. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I am gonna guess it is frostbite, was it only one chicken?

3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    As far as I could tell, it was only the roo.

ETA: I looked up favus, and am pretty sure it's not that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    One of my roosters is swollen too, he was normal yesterday but there was -31 degrees out last night despite them having a heat lamp in the coop and loads of straw. Should i bring him inside? The other 3 roosters are fine aswell as the hens and guineas and ducks.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

It sounds like it could be frostbite from where the wattles get wet as they get a drink. I've had that happen to 2 of my roos. The ones with the biggest, most dangling wattles got frostbite right at the point where the wattle brushed the rim of the waterer. I'm really thinking of going to the 5 gal. bucket waterer with the poultry nipples. Sounds like it would be a win-win here, and to think of no more dirty water... that's just delightful! You might try putting vaseline on the wattles & combs to protect them from the cold & moisture.

6. odd87

odd87 New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    HI there, I too have some frostbite issues on the waddles of the roosters. I'm hoping someone will chime in on what to do when they are swollen. I started mine on betadine twice a day with some neosporin also on the combs. Is there anything else that can be done for them?

7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Sounds like frostbite. I have been putting vaseline on my three roosters.

8. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    My rooster has swollen waddles and black around the outside too, It was very cold the other night.
    I'll try the vaseline & noesporin tonight, we broke 30 degrees outside today..........[​IMG]
    Any other suggestions if it gets worse............?

9. jgravilusmc

jgravilusmc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    i've always heard the vasaline on the combs and waddles

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    My roo got frostbite yesterday (-10 at 8 AM -- no clue what temp during the night). Same thing: black on the edges of the wattles, and his comb points are black/purple too. I'll do the Vaseline, but is there anything else to do? Does the frostbitten part eventually fall off or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by