Very thin chicken (Americana)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tenderft chick, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    So Artie by American is feeling like just feathers and bones, nothing else [​IMG] . My other americana is not this way. Artie has pretty much been like this since we got her, but now her pep is gone also.

What I have done

She is currently in hospital cage with extra food and water.
    I have put Wazine wormer in her water to worm her.
    I have dusted her with DE for bugs about a month ago, should I do it again?

I feel her crop and it has food in it, but it doesn't seem to get as big as the other chickens do (they get it soo big sometimes I wonder how they can walk with all that weight up front.[​IMG])

Anyways, any ideas on what else to do or check out?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Later today I will be giving her water with electrolytes and I am giving her a mix of layer ration with grower ration, is that ok?

3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Sorry Artie is under the weather! Are her droppings looking ok--not too runny or watery or a weird color? I don't know whats going on with her, but giving her extra groceries and a hospital cage is a great idea. Is she still laying? How old is she, when did you get her and when did you notice her not feeling well. Any other information would be most helpful.

Another application of DE I think would be ok. Did you see any lice or mites on her?

I would recommend pumping up her protein a bit. Scrambled eggs (cooked) are a good source of protein. You could also go for meal worms (live or freeze dried). If you are so inclined, you could have a vet take a peek. I have one hen that has required antibiotics twice in her life, poor dear.

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Can you post a pic?

I have one that is like that too. She has always been a bit small and doesnt eat a lot. Her "sister" is 3 times as big as her too. She has not been showing any other odd symptoms, just a bit sneezy.

5. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Some of Artie's History

3 years old we got as day old.
    Attacked by dog last year on rump, healed up nicely - was down to the bone (yucky [​IMG] )
    Been kinda off for couple weeks, so I spread DE all over coop and into the spot they love to take dirt baths. Noticed a couple eggs of lice or mites on feathers hence the DE

Not layed for awhile, but then she was never the best of layers anyways. She has nest box now that she is sleeping in.

Last month or so she is like the first one into bed like at 6 -7 pm realllllllyyyy early

Hope this helps.

Sorry can't afford vet, out of work and hubby is just starting to get back to work by starting his own business.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd get some valbazen wormer - wazine doesn't get all types of worms.

The other possibility is internal laying. I've heard that their keel bone (chest) get sharp like a knife. Is her abdomen swollen?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Since you saw the lice or mites WITH eggs....forget the DE. I highly recommend that you purchase sevin dust ($4.97 at Lowe's for a 1 pound canister)...dust ALL your chickens and the inside of their coop, roosts, and nests with it. Then 10 days later redust everything again, including your chickens.
    [​IMG]

8. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I didn't see any mites or lice just 2 eggs. Her stool looks normal and she is holding her tail up high as can be and her feather quality is wonderful. Just a small crop no matter what I feed.

9. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Ok, I just gave her a meal of corn and scrambled eggs. She wolfed down the corn and when I hand fed her the eggs she ate that up. Felt her crop and pretty full. Fuller than it was earlier today. Stools normal, but she has some stuck on her bottom, dh going to give her shower to clean off. Her abdomen is non existent (skinny not swollen). She is very alert and bright but just bone thin.

I have a picture of her but don't know how to put into my message, how do you do that?

10. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    So Artie is on the one on the right and DD is the one on the left that I have to do bumblefoot surgery on tomorrow. Boy they all get sick at the same time.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by