VERY THIN SERAMA ROOSTER

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debra Aberbom, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Debra Aberbom

Debra Aberbom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    Hello, my serama rooster is very thin to me. He doesnt seem to like the crumble I got. I have added scratch and meal worms. I think I should worm him too. I was going to use de for that. Does any one have any suggestions for a better feed for him. I also read that I can feed him cooked rice and cooked pasta, veggies and some fruit. So I am working on doing that too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, Gods blessings, Debra

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Try adding warm water to his crumbles,so it resembles oatmeal most chickens love this. You could also try fermenting his feed,i use crumbles and scratch,all my chickens(silkies and orpingtons)love fermented feed.

Yes, he can have fruit/vegetables/pasta/rice as snacks,but he should be on a balanced chicken feed which includes all the vitamins/nutrients he requires also include meat in his diet as chickens are omnivores .

No issues with other chickens not letting him eat? No beak problems as in scissor beak that may account for his not eating? No crop issues?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. What percentage of protein are you using? I like 20 percent for my flock, since I have roosters and hens, plus chicks about 1/2 of the year. An all flock or flock raiser type is pretty appealing. You also need to cut out things like pasta and rice. They don't need carbs, and the feed has a balance of all nutrients that are best for him. When feeding scratch or treats, you should limit it to 10% of the total intake. Try some scrambled eggs, beef liver, and low sodium canned tuna as a treat--those are high in protein and quite popular. Make sure he gets some probiotics and vitamins in his water a couple of times a week.

4. Debra Aberbom

Nov 26, 2013
    Thank you for your advice. I will try the warm water. I do not know how to fermanent feed so will reserach that. your time is appreciated.

5. Debra Aberbom

Nov 26, 2013
    Also thank you Eggcessive for your help. I will check protien. I will try the other foods and check on probiotics and vitamins in his water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by