Very thin silkie hen, not acting normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Merchris, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Merchris

Merchris Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    I went out to feed tonight, and one of my silkie hens, who is about 10 mo old, was just laying there. So I picked her up, and when I did, she is bone thin. She drank some water, and ate a little bit, but I've brought her inside for the night to keep the others from picking on her and to keep her a bit warmer. I don't know what else to do. I've had other hens that acted like this, they were laying there, and then next day, they were just dead. I want to try to save her, just at a loss at how. I know sometimes it's just a chicken thing with all the massive breeding they do, but I'm really hoping someone here can help.[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Has she been wormed recently? Is her poop runny or a off color?

3. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    I'm sorry you're losing your hens.. have you had any necropsied? It could be any number of things, including Mareks. I highly recommend it as it will give you an actual diagnosis to proceed from. I wish you the best of luck!

4. Merchris

Feb 1, 2008
    I haven't had a chance to see her poo, but no on the worming. What do I use, esp in this situation. I've given her some oatmeal with her regular feed in hopes of getting her to eat some more.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You need to keep her warm. Once she's warm and stable, you'll need to hydrate her. If you can't take her to a vet, you'll have to do it yourself. I know people don't like clicking on links, but you really should read the info here:
    http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf

It's written for vets, I think, but you should be able to get some valuable info from it.

Like this:
    FLUID THERAPY
    Oral Administration
    Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids.
    This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated
    birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC)
    or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg
    PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl)
    that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid
    therapy.

These two links explain how to give fluids:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid#post_9910754
    http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7933

6. Merchris

Feb 1, 2008
    Ok, so as an update, her poo seems normal, but seems excessively smelly. We've been keeping her in a bathroom in a pet carrier, with a heating pad under it on low, and when we go in the bathroom, it's very smelly, almost very pee like. She has been eating and drinking, but seems very wobbly when she walks around. I put her outside today in a secure cage, just so she could get some fresh air and sunshine, and when I went to check on her, she was sort of sprawled out in that position they end up in when they pass, so I don't know if that just means she's not going to make it, or it means nothing at all. If anyone has suggestions, I'm trying my best to keep her with us. We're giving her some applesauce and oatmeal as well. I'm looking at her right now and she's just standing puffed up in the cage. I'm afaid to give her anything for worms because she is literally all bone on her underside, so I just don't know if her body could take it. Thanks in advance for any more suggestions.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She needs fluids! Did you read the links I posted?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by