1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

very thirsty, lethargic, swollen crop, water in poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babsh, Sep 7, 2010.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have a beloved Barred Rock that has been acting very lethargic for months now (lies down when you set her down, closes eyes). I decided to worm the flock to see if that was it. (Dose of Wazine, about to to Ivermectin as well). Last night my kids discovered her crop was huge. I spent the day massaging and giving her oil, eliminating food, etc. Doesn't seem to be doing much, though it is soft and squooshy now. She is EXTREMELY lethargic. Constantly sleeping, closing her eyes. She isn't interested in food, but drinks a ton. When she does poop, it looks like the water is just going right through her. She is skin and bones.

Any ideas? We are heartbroken as she is the tamest, friendliest pet chicken. loves to be held, pecks at your ankles until you pick her up. I know it doesn't look good, but I'm trying to have some hope.

Grateful for any help.

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] BUMP

3. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    I'm so sorry this is happening to you. My heart goes out to you. I have exactly the same thing happening. I was just logging on to see if I could find any advice. My wonderful Alice has just died tonight and had the same symptoms. I'm new to chickens. I haven't wormed them but will asap. Do you or anyone have advice about which wormer or where to get it. I want to protect the rest of my flock.

4. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    I am so sorry.....[​IMG] and just for the record I too lost a beautiful barred rock this past weekend, and have read on this forum so many people this week that have lost barred rocks !!! Either we all are having bad luck or, God just needs a great flock of girls............

I had a "sickness" go through my flock of 9 last weekend, now I have 8. We lost Rocky our barred rock, [​IMG] they are so awesome......love barred rocks. Anyway, very thirsty, lethargic, wouldn't eat, very weak. My flock is 6.5 months old. I had never wormed them. 4 girls total got sick. I wasn't able to get the meds prior to Rocky passing away. But then I used one dose of Wazine to deworm the flock. I also put them on Duramycin daily for 7 days just in case.

They stopped laying for a couple days, and a couple girls needed to be syringe fed the meds, but I still have all 8 girls and now they are eating, drinking, doing well. [​IMG] All of them were very thirsty in the beginning.......

All the best to you and hang in there. Once you worm the poops might be really gross for a couple days, but once it clears out you'll be ok. [​IMG]

5. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    I'm sorry for sounded so ignorant about all of this. Where does one buy wormer? That sounds exactly like what is happening to my chickens. Exactly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by