Very ticked!

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Sequim, WA
We moved to this small town two years ago. We bought a great house on a dead end road that has only 10 house on it and surrounded by fields. Each house sitting on almost an ac. each if not more. We have the dream of the garden and the chickens and fruit trees.....

Then I went to City Hall to ask about zoning regs for chickens. After about 10 min of diging they told me that our "neighborhood" is considered moderate residental (your kidding me right!?!) and that chickens are NOT allowed. BUT that PETS are. So they asked if the chickens were for food or 4H. I told them both. So he stressed again that PETS are allowed, that as long as that is what I called them.....
wink.png

I told them that I have a very grouchy old busy body that thinks she can badmouth anyone and its okay as long as she says "God love um" after every snide remark.

The folks at city hall asked who it was and after giving them her name they looked at each other with raised eyebrows and said "aaaaahhhh, we know her well"
hmm.png

I don't want to build a coop and fence everything and buy my chickens just to have her turn me in and I have to get rid of them!

But thanks to the great folks at city hall telling me that pets ARE allowed;)
wink.png

I don't think I will worry about it. (Okay, I will, but I can't help it!)

I will have to be discreat about the meat birds, er...umm, I mean the really fast growing 4H birds that never make it to the showings.

*sigh*
Okay, I feel a little better now, thanks!

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

I will have to be discreat about the meat birds, er...umm, I mean the really fast growing 4H birds that never make it to the showings.

Unless this mean neighbor sees you slaughtering a chicken, she can't prove anything! Evil neighbors are the worst!​

Just don't get a rooster, and buy a lot of gorgeous ornamental bushes to disguise your coop...

And the best ploy of all... Tempt her with fresh organic eggs...at a reduced, neighbors-only exclusive rate, of course.
wink.png

We tried making nice with some of our neighbors by giving them eggs... they threw them out without eating them
roll.png

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing about the bushes! And I don't think I can get around the rooster. He is going to be a must for our flock. But she can't say to much about the noise he would make. They have about 12 bird feeders all over their front porch and I swear it brings over 1000 of the noisest birds I've ever heard!

Quote:
Yep, and there is no way I'm going to let her see!

Quote:
I was thinking about doing this too. My kids love the "fancy" ones. My oldest even wants one of the naked necks!
lol.png

Quote:
Now that is just wrong!! They sound like the evil guy next door to my grouchy neighbor. Why do people have to be like this? What ever happened to being neighborly? Are they so bored that they have to stir the pot for entertainment?!
roll.png

Oh well. I guess all I can do is be kind and try to be an example as to how a neighbor should act.

I'd get real close with those folks at city hall.... they would certainly get eggs....

I don't think the noisy bird feeders will help you much, just as the guy next door with the barking dogs is not usually much defense against roosters crowing, illogical as that may be.

You might look through the local chicken laws forum and think about seeing if you can get something done with local ordinances. Roosters have been the undoing of more than one flock. Got any neighbors with chickens, or who would like some?

But I am prejudiced. These laws fry me. People live with trains, traffic noise, dogs barking, 4 wheelers, on and on, but something we raise to enjoy, keep us healthier, and the planet a little greener can be outlawed. NYC taxi horns are one heck of a lot noisier, 24/7, than a rooster, and roosters do not crow 24/7. What ever happened to civil liberty? How basic is it to be free to grow some of one's own food? Sheesh.

ok I don't know if I am even going to word anything I am going to say right, so appologize up front from me....

first I think it's horrible that the 'chickens' need to be hidden...
(not only for you, but I have noticed alot more posts lately about zoning and what not...)

second....when they say PETS...does there ordiences say anything about only being able to have xxx amount of "PETS"...if so that might cause a problem...

third....I wouldn't worry about the meat birds/fast growing 4-H project birds that never make it to the fairs....People have cows as pet that get butchers, they have pigs as pets that get butchered...so yep, you butcher your pets...

I don't get all these zoning laws....sorry to dump this all on your post, but it's the last one I seen about this kinda stuff...
people can have some pretty stupid things(both living and nonliving)...not everyone is gonna agree with it and there is always someone somewhere that will make a stink about it...be it an old car on YOUR property or a chicken on YOUR property...
I personally think some of these PETS allowances are rediculous(meaning only 1 or 2 of this type animal and 2 or 3 of this type animal but not more than xxx for a total amount of PETS per property)...
Now yes, most common sense people are not gonna house a full grown beef or dairy cow in there 1/7th of an acre lot...but poultry really it's not like they are gonna take up a huge amount of space, nor is a rooster gonna be that nosey....they might have there moments, but then again so does a stray female cat that's in heat...so does the nosey dog that barks constantly day and night...so does the next persons parrett if you happen to live close enough to one that is on a squacking spree...

again sorry to dump this all on your topic, I really hope you are able to have your chickens...and eat the eggs too...
gig.gif

I guess I don't understand....I know chickens are evil...they're almost as dangerous as a rabid dog, or a wondering cat, heck they might even be as dangerous as a full sized bull in his prime in a china shop...and just about as uncontrollable and destructive as them too...(well maybe they can be as distructive--as anyone who has ever planted flowers around the chicken coops might atest to that...
smile.png
)

I wonder how law abiding all these nosey neighbors are who complain about chickens are....hope they all ALWAYS wear a seatbelt and follow the speedlimit, I hope trees on there property are not in jepordy of interfearing with the powerlines, or there structures on there property all had building permits or that they follow every and all rules, regulations, and laws where ever they may be....

ok enough of my long winded rant.....
th.gif

again hopefully everyone who has to deal with these 'zonings' are able to keep there chickens, and just to feed there addiction are able to get plenty more...
celebrate.gif

Nothing is noisier than a teenage boy bouncing a basketball under a window at 11 pm. Guess he would be considered a pet too. lol

We can't see a house where we live unless we walk out to the road and they are good neighbors. We are blessed that way. Hope you can get the zoning law changed and make friends with the grouchy old busy body. I can't understand people like her. It takes more effort to be hateful than to be pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom