Very Tiny Buff Chick [Pictures]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rainwolfeh, Mar 1, 2017.

1. rainwolfeh

rainwolfeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2015
    Hello! It's my third year raising chicks and I've run into something I'm a little bit unsure about. I picked up my chicks from the feed store about a week and a half ago and accidentally picked out the smallest buff chick they had - she's almost two weeks old now and can cuddle up entirely in the palm of my hand and is still smaller than some of the 2-3 day olds they had when I got her. She seems healthy and is feathering in and eating just as well as the others, she's just...absolutely tiny. She also tried to cuddle under the other chicks, although she prefers my hand and falls asleep almost instantly when she gets comfortable. Does she need any special tlc?
    Will she catch up or will I end up with the tiniest buff orpington the world's ever seen? lol

For reference, those are two turken chicks and a maran chick. (Pardon the yogurt! And the bad pictures!)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    The chick could possibly be a bantam.

3. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    That would be interesting! The rest she were in with were definitely not bantams, is that possible?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Yes I've gotten a Buff Brahma bantam that was in with regular Buff Brahmas. They may have mixed up the egg or something like that.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Brahma bantams are wonderful! Mine have had much nicer personalities than the standards, and have been long- lived too. Mary

6. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    cute!

7. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you! She is actually an Orpington though, not a Brahma. Same thing still applies, I imagine? :) She is very sweet and cuddly already.

8. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    So at 3 weeks she's still at most half the size of the other chicks...feathering in pretty nicely though

9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    On the chance that your adorable tiny chick is slow in developing, I recommend you get some Poultry Nutri-drench and give it an undiluted drop daily for the next week. If you ever find yourself again with a chick that is lagging in development, this vitamin therapy, if started early, could help get it started catching up in development before it lags too far behind, thus preventing it from ever achieving full growth. There may still be time for this chick to catch most of the way up.

Yes, it could be a bantam accidentally dumped in the wrong bin, but unlikely. It's much more common to see failure-to-thrive chicks or some degree of it as in your chick. Extra foods can also help such as tofu, minced boiled egg, even some baby food. I feed the runt right in with the others because they're more likely to eat when facing competition from the other chicks. It's okay for all three to get these treats. Pro-biotics is a good idea, too. So is fermenting the chick feed.

Keep updating your thread. We all are interested in your chick's progress.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Azygous have great advice
    I have had great success using drench with my baby chicks. I don't think it is slow feathering. I think also a
    Maybe a bantam. Best, Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by