Very Tiny Egg! What is Going On??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kimmi500, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Kimmi500

Kimmi500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Hi All,
    I have been raising chickens for a year now, so I still come across crazy stuff every now an again :) Today when I collected eggs, I noticed this teeny tiny egg. It has a nice shell, but I have no idea what to think. It is very cute, but I hope there is nothing serious going on. They have a nice secure coop and get to free range during the days. They are fed GMO free layer feed with oyster shell. Also get scratch periodically. Can anyone let me know what might be happening? Is this normal?
    Thanks in advance![​IMG]

2. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    I had one a few weeks back never happened to me either but this is the only one I have seen and my hen is laying normal now. I think its just a fluke

3. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    This is what was inside it was super thick and well gross lol.

4. Kimmi500

Kimmi500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Lol! Thanks so much! It is a very cute little egg, but I just want to make sure all is well :)

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Those are called a fart or wind egg, they happen. No need to worry the girl who layed it is fine. I have about 30 laying hens and get one of those every few months, its just a little glitch in the assembly line and is no big deal.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Agree! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by